Hop pedigree poster

There’s a poster for sale from the University of Minnesota detailing pedigrees for a bunch of hop varieties. It can be purchased here: https://shop-secure.extension.umn.edu/P … px?ID=2069

They don’t have a thumbnail picture? I would be interested, but I’m not paying $25 for a mystery poster…

For now, there’s a thumbnail here: http://sroc.cfans.umn.edu/People/Facult … /index.htm

No Simcoe? :frowning:

First off, the thumbnail is now up on the sale page. Second, according to the Simcoe patent, it is [quote=“Simcoe Patent”]“a new hop plant variety of unknown parentage which was discovered among plants created as part of a controlled breeding program.”[/quote] So either Yakima Chief really doesn’t know, or they’re not telling.

Hey worthog,
Thanks for posting. I have contacted private hop sellers/growers for any information in identifying hops in the very recent past. The response was deafening. A big fat ZERO. I suspect they have nothing to pass on pr don’t give a sh*t. PNW.
$25 for this may be a bargain compared to books on growing hops.
I have 4 varieties planted in close proximity and each year they have an intertwined orgy. Early in the season the leaves are very distinct and I could probably come closer to identifying them with the aid of reliable pictures.
Thanks again!
Brew On :cheers:

Cool poster. I heard Stan Heironymous give a talk on hops not long ago and was impressed by the fact that so many good lines come from Brewers Gold.

[quote=“Brew On”]Hey worthog,
Thanks for posting. I have contacted private hop sellers/growers for any information in identifying hops in the very recent past. The response was deafening. A big fat ZERO. I suspect they have nothing to pass on pr don’t give a sh*t. PNW. [/quote]
It’s not very easy to ID many varieties based on a photo. Combine a photo with a maturity (early / medium / late, especially relative to other known varieties in your area), approximate bitterness (compare to a known AAU whole hop from the store by making tea, but realize that your Cascade might have different AAU than Oregon Cascades, for example), and then you can narrow it down a bit perhaps. Once you narrow it down, comparing aroma with known varieties may help further (as a tea is quickest / easiest, but beer is good too…).

Thanks for the kind words on the poster!

An alphabetical list of varieties that have been derived from, in some part (no matter how small), Brewer’s Gold:

Apollo, Boadicea, Bravo, Centennial, Challenger, Chelan, Chinook, Citra, Crystal, Eroica, First Gold, Galena, Glacier, Hallertauer Gold, Herald, Horizon, Millennium, Mt. Rainier, Newport, Northdown, Northern Brewer, Nugget, Nugget, Perle, Pilgrim, Pilot, Pioneer, Santiam, Sorachi Ace, Spalter Select, Sterling, Summit, Super Galena, Target, Tradition. And that’s as far as I know. Stuff like Cascade was open pollinated, so maybe the father came from Brewer’s Gold somehow. And the proprietary stuff that I don’t know about (Amarillo, Simcoe, etc.), I’d guess, has some in them too.

Everything I’ve heard leads me to believe the really don’t know. It was just discovered growing in a field.

An alphabetical list of varieties that have been derived from, in some part (no matter how small), Brewer’s Gold:

Apollo, Boadicea, Bravo, Centennial, Challenger, Chelan, Chinook, Citra, Crystal, Eroica, First Gold, Galena, Glacier, Hallertauer Gold, Herald, Horizon, Millennium, Mt. Rainier, Newport, Northdown, Northern Brewer, Nugget, Nugget, Perle, Pilgrim, Pilot, Pioneer, Santiam, Sorachi Ace, Spalter Select, Sterling, Summit, Super Galena, Target, Tradition. And that’s as far as I know. Stuff like Cascade was open pollinated, so maybe the father came from Brewer’s Gold somehow. And the proprietary stuff that I don’t know about (Amarillo, Simcoe, etc.), I’d guess, has some in them too.[/quote]
Heck of a list and some I really like. I also like Brewers Gold, its a good all purpose hop.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]
I also like Brewers Gold, its a good all purpose hop.[/quote]
I finally made a chart showing how much those varieties are genetically similar to Brewer’s Gold (based on known pedigree):
http://imgur.com/GzeXX

For most of those varieties, coancestry is half of ‘relatedness’. For example, Galena is half Brewer’s Gold (it’s a daughter), so its coancestry is 0.25.

Edit: updated chart. Also, NB is now selling the pedigree poster