Hop particles in hazy ipa

@brewmanchu you should listen to the latest podcast from basic brewing radio. Alot of good information on hop utilization and perhaps some facts on using less

1 to 5 of those 16-20 ounces may not even be utilized depending on whos math/ opinion you listen to. But I guess it depends on the hops. After a certain IBU a human cannot distinguish so that beyond that point it’s a waste and since there is only so much oils that can be held in saturation beyond that is a waste for dry-hopping. I could give a number of 100IBUs and 3 ounces per gallon dry hopping but to do so would require some footnotes that I’m too tired to do ATM so don’t quote me on that

I’ve been brewing mostly NEIPA’s lately and playing around with hop combos and amounts used. I do realize that the utilization may not be there for the amount of hops I’m using. Looking at my notes now, my average usage per batch is 12 ounces. The few that I went with huge amounts were also 9% beers. I’m kind of experimenting and trying to get rid of hops at the same time.

2 Likes

I think half the fun is exbeerimenting because you never know when you might find something you really like. Any really good or interesting takeaways so far? Any favorite hop combos for the NEIPAs?

Nothing super interesting yet. I’ve come to realize that the best beer I’ve brewed to date only used 8oz of hops so sometimes less is more it seems. Outside of the classic GMC combo used in a lot of NEIPA’s, my Citra/Medusa was a huge hit. Simcoe/Amarillo/Mosaic is very tasty (probably my fave so far) and my latest is a Citra/Galaxy/Zappa. I’m going to officially tap that during football sunday party tomor. My first taste after carbing last weekend was super dank so I’m curious to see what it’s like now.

2 Likes

Yeah, I got a little wild with some of my hop quantities and am starting to dial a couple of them back a little to see what if any differences I can detect.

I think the Amarillo/Mosaic/Simcoe combo in a NEIPA is pretty delicious . I’m going to have to check out the Citra/Medusa combo.

1 Like