Hop Growing Thread 2013!

[quote=“CapnJB”]It’s amazing what a week of warm weather will do. These guys had only just broken ground this time last week. Tallest one is about 18" so far. The big rain we had last night is only going to help :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Yea, I am not far from you and this week of warm weather has mine going crazy. I will post a pic later

I just planted four Cascade rhizomes this past weekend and, as a first time grower, I’ve got a question. Would it be beneficial to spread mulch over the beds to help retain moisture as things get established or would that somehow inhibit growth as the hops are getting started this first year?

I would mulch them. They need to retain moisture the first year and you don’t want them drying out.

Finally seeing those little purple leads poking out of the ground. guess it’s time to start building the suspension system.

Mulching the hops is one of the best things you can do in the spring to help the hops get a head start, keep in the moisture and maintain a moderate soil temp in addition to promoting earth worms!

My Horizon and Mt Hood have really taken off.
[attachment=0]IMG_20130417_151333_012-re.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMG_20130417_151213_106-re.jpg[/attachment]

I already have cones on my Cascades in Florida. I think it has something to do with the high pressure sodium light the utility company put on the electric pole for some reason in my backyard. Perhaps they think they’re getting sunlight 24 hours a day? Who knows, but I’ve got cones man!!! :smiley:

:lol:

I decided to give away some rhizomes as I got a little carried away with how many I planted last year and holy moly, what root growth! I can not believe how much root growth there was. I can only imagine what they would do if they were more than just 2nd year.

One question, i ended up rearranging one of they hops i decided to keep. What kind of response should i expect?

well at least on the days it is sunny. ha ha.

[quote=“mppatriots”]
One question, i ended up rearranging one of they hops i decided to keep. What kind of response should i expect?[/quote]

If they grew well last year and as long as you didn’t mutilate the crown, you’ll most likely have near a full crop. Now that the plant has roots and some reserves saved up, stand back and watch the fireworks.

If only we could actually see the sun in the north east. Yesterday’s weather gray, today’s weather: gray, tomorrow’s forecast: gray.

Geesh, can’t wait to see the sun!

Sadly, I think the drought killed mine last year despite my nearly daily watering.

Building my hop trellis today in Minnesota! The snow has finally melted and the sun will be abundant this weekend. However, it is my first year growing and I currently have my hops growing in flower pots until I feel confident the warm weather is here to stay. Have other midwest hop growers planted their rhizomes in ground yet? I would love to plant mine but I am worried the ground may get cold again.

Cheers!

Wow, these photos are about 10 days old and they have gone crazy since. I will post more in a few days.

Lookin Good!

Looking to cut back the roots this coming weekend. Any recommendations on how big of a radius I should leave? I picking up some horse manure this weekend to fill back in around them. I guess it’s time to get out the irrigation and run the twine up to the second story.

Looking forward to a sore Monday morning.

I just planted my first rhizomes in early April. Any advice for this newbie?

They need a lot of water the first year.

They need a lot of water the first year.[/quote]
Use mulch to help the soil retain moisture.