Hop Growing Thread 2012!

Got some line strung to the top of the fence; just in time.

Centennial potential 2012:

Cheers!

Pinnah,

I can never see any of the pics you post. I’ve tried in IE (I think its the old one though, and Google Chrome). Any recommendations?

Huh, not sure. I can’t see them either now. I use Photobucket, and can’t log into that either. :expressionless: Probably no chance Potobucket is down?

Sorry for the thread bummer.

I have no problems seeing your pics.

Thanks Baratone. I just got a new computer…seems like you have to enable cookies. :roll:
They show up for me now.

Try that and see if you get anything.
:cheers:

Maybe it’s because I’m on the computer at work 8)

My Chinook plant is Happy

[quote=“candleman”]My Chinook plant is Happy
[/quote]

that is totally obscene, soCal
posting up womens parts mid May.

Crazy talk.

:cheers:

Chinook plant already has about 20 cones, they sure do smell good!

My hops.

the first is my first year cascade (its about 4 inches tall at the moment with 4 or 5 leaves. not on the twine yet)

the second is my 2nd year goldings (about 5 feet tall. image cuts off the top half of the vine. not ideal sunlight)

the third is my 2nd year chinook (taller than me. with ideal sunlight)

Will have to take a picture of my home hops and post them. I’ve got 2 second year Cascades at 18 plus feet already. One of which is already putting out lots of blooms.

I also have some first year Nuggets, Crystal, Centennial, Kent Goldings, and Willamette. (are they still called Kent Goldings if they’re grown in the US or do they just become Goldings ha…) These are all in different stages of growth. Anywhere from 6 inches high to 4 ft. These newer plants don’t have the luxury of full sun all day like the Cascades do.

One weird thing, last season I planted the two Cascades and one Magnum rhizome. The Magnum had the biggest vine of them all but didn’t produce many/any hops. This year the Cascades, like I mentioned earlier, are 18ft tall but the Magnum hasn’t even reached the 4ft mark. They look fine, the vines are just small and acting like they don’t want to climb. The Cascade and Mag are all pretty much right next to each other so I don’t know wtf is going on… again, the plant itself seems to look fine, just not growing.

The Hop Farm Test Project I’m involved with is going alright. Some of the rhizomes didn’t come up so we’re trying to recoup them or at least get the company to pay for half of the loss. We stared with 50 plants. 11 didn’t come up, and 2 weeks ago we ordered/added 20 Chinook to the mix. So in total we should have, when it’s all said or done, 70 rhizomes planted. Columbus, Chinook, Cascade, Willamette, and Nugget.

We also talked to the local brew-pub and they told us they’d take every Cascade, Chinook, and Willamette hop we could grow so that’s good. Now we have to talk them into the Nugget and Columbus ha…

Anyone know of a place to send your hops to have them tested for AA?

My Mt Hood is still growing like crazy even though it has outgrown its 16ft pole. Horizon hit the top of its pole yesterday. Hard to believe that my Goldings is just now starting to climb the lines, but at least they are finally getting going.

Curse Goldings. I spent 4 years on a Golding plant and never did get a good harvest.

This is what I did to it this spring :twisted:

Later goldings.

My goldings are super slow growers. im on year two and they have 2 vines about 6 feet tall. unfortunately for me they are in the ‘worst condition’ area for hops in my garden.

fortunately for them, they are in the worst condition area, so i feel no need to grow anything else there. I’ll let them live for a few years. whenever they develop a crown. maybe i’ll move them to a better area.

still never gotten a single cone from that plant…

Curse Goldings. I spent 4 years on a Golding plant and never did get a good harvest.

This is what I did to it this spring :twisted:

If it doesn’t get its butt in gear this may be just what mine need.

Later goldings.[/quote]

I’m determined to get a good yeild out of my goldings. luckily my parents live on 5 acres (where i grow my hops), so i have no need to make room. Someday (maybe year 6… hopefully sooner) they will give me a few cones

I like what I see on my Horizon.
[attachment=0]Horizon 2012.jpg[/attachment]

I planted 4 rhizomes this spring and erected a 12’ 4x4. I ran lines up teepee style (2 lines per rhizome), figuring it would be more than enough for first year hops. Wrong!

The Chinook has already reached the top and I’ve had to drop the lines a few feet to give it more room to grow and not tangle with the other varieties.
I’ve also had to drop one of the Cascade lines.
I’ve got easily 6’-8’ of growth on the Nugget as well.
The straggler has been Mt Hood, which has been growing well as of late (4’-6’). It seems more like it had a late start than anything else.

Next year I’ll have to see about a taller pole, and probably put a T section up top as well so I don’t have to worry about the different varieties intertwining. Oh well, live and learn.

[quote=“TheTooth”]I planted 4 rhizomes this spring and erected a 12’ 4x4. I ran lines up teepee style (2 lines per rhizome), figuring it would be more than enough for first year hops. Wrong!

Next year I’ll have to see about a taller pole, and probably put a T section up top as well so I don’t have to worry about the different varieties intertwining. Oh well, live and learn.[/quote]
you should realy consider 1 Post per variety to keep them from mixing

Add about 5 feet of lenth to your pole by using some 10’x2" inch steel electrical conduit.

[quote=“pashusa”][quote=“TheTooth”]I planted 4 rhizomes this spring and erected a 12’ 4x4. I ran lines up teepee style (2 lines per rhizome), figuring it would be more than enough for first year hops. Wrong!

Next year I’ll have to see about a taller pole, and probably put a T section up top as well so I don’t have to worry about the different varieties intertwining. Oh well, live and learn.[/quote]
you should realy consider 1 Post per variety to keep them from mixing

Add about 5 feet of length to your pole by using some 10’x2" inch steel electrical conduit.[/quote]

Unfortunately, our gardening areas are in above-ground planters due to gopher issues, and I’ve clearly under-planned for space using a 6’x6’ planter with a concreted-in post bracket for a 4x4 in the middle with each hop rhizome in a corner. I should take a picture and put it up. In hindsight, I would have planned for 4 different 4’x4’ planters, each with their own pole in the middle. Space no longer will accommodate that now that the rest of the garden is in place, so I’m going to have to find ways to make this work for now.

Great idea with the electrical conduit, though. I’ll definitely look into that.