Homebrewing and woodworking

That looks great!! I’ve heard that finish is tricky. Cant you wet sand it though?

I did put on 80 grit paper and sanded it… Twice… You’d never be able to tell. Problem I ran into was at some of the glue joints… They gassed off causing pock marks… Then the temp was at 70… Should’ve been closer to 80.
Sneezles61

1 Like

The bevel on the corners is a nice touch. Looks great!

1 Like

Was out in my “shop” cussing at my dull block/jack plane blades… Chiesels too… Went in search… built some jigs to hold the blade at a specific angle, and some whet stones… Alot of effort… My B.I.L stops by… seems he’s got the Tormek sharpening system… My is that one heck of a fancy pants gizmo! I’m reading up on how to use it… That is this afternoons adventure!

sneezles61

The Tormek machines are incredible.

Not catching what your laying down brother…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Those machines are great. Just discovered dominoe joiners as well, feel like I need one now

1 Like

Ive used biscuit joiners, but wasn’t too thrilled… I learned face frame building using dowels in the mid 70’s. I still use that… Its easy enough to use for many other applications… I’ll have to look, I think I have a Stanley No. 29(?) jig…
I have some small stuff to do, shelves in the wife cleaning supply cabinet… Its very chaotic in there… More speakers for the living room…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Pocket screws for face frames are the Cat’s meow :rofl:

1 Like

Haha I have a pocket screw jig

:joy: Never tried one… Or should I say, my, the way I do my stuff… its not needed?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeh, I’m a bit of a tool junky. I never really feel like buying tools is a waste of money.

1 Like

After trying that tormek sharpener… I think I understand… the tool rest, keeping things square and constant is a major key… then cool… I’ll tinker with some ideas I have…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Has anyone ever seen wood turning with a bandsaw?

Wifes cabinet that houses cleaning supplies/tools is a disaster… I’ll go get some plywood, 3/4", and make shelves, put a few rods across for hooks to hang broom/mop.floor stuff… Left over plywood will build some speaker cabinets…
sneezles61

I have a buddy, not a woodworker, who was cutting a piece of 3/4” plywood to make a shelf for a nook that was built into the walls of his apartment. He cut the wood and went to go check its fit but the wood slipped out of his hands and got so wedged into the nook that he couldn’t get it out again. So he just left it there with no braces or anything but friction holding it in place. Luckily it was pretty level as well.

We call that “an A- taper fit”. :joy:
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Sure are cracking yourself up over here haha.
Nobody responded to wood turning with a bandsaw…looks crazy. My next purchase is going to be a cnc router

This is the vacuum motor on our Cnc router. 1 gallon jug of glue for scale.

That is massive!! What kind of products are you making? I see the track for a track saw back there. Just got mine last week.