Home cider passed best before date

So, I recently bought Best Brewers hard spiced apple cider from a third party seller. Turns out (surprise) that the best sell date was may 2018, over a year ago! Should I even attempt to use this kit. Or should I just continue with the return process. I feel like the yeast will definitely not be good to use (it is dry though). Thoughts? Thanks!

I would return it. There’s most certainly degradation of the juice as well as the yeast. Plus you paid for a product and you should get what you deserve and expect. Would you go to a restaurant and settle on a 3 day old meal?

2 Likes

Can’t you just buy real juice? If you don’t have orchards in your area, look for the supermarket brand called Simply Apple. It is fresh and has no preservatives that will screw up the fermentation.

1 Like

Frozen concentrate works nice

1 Like

I’ve been too busy at work to keep the fermentor busy as I’d like… So I’ve been upping the apple cider… Way too easy to do, and I think I’ve shed a few pounds too! I’ve bought apple juice from the store and simply put in a kicked keg… Use the gas side with some tubing into a jar with water as a blow off set up…When it done fermenting… Hit the keg with 40 psi’s CO2, toss in the fridge to cold crash… A week later, rack to a drinking keg… Need to flavor it a bit? Bells has a razzberry sparkle that at times I’ll mix 50/50… But I really don’t have to… It’s just fine all by its self… Did I mention, I seem to be shedding some weight too? Sneezles61