Ho-Hah-Guard-Turn... Perry?

Well, my cider guy gave me 5 gallons of fresh squeezed Bartlett pear juice. Been doing some reading and sounds like pasteurize and pitch Notty? Seems awfully easy so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

I love a good Perry. Especially samuel smiths.

Might want to think about how dry you want that to finish. While I prefer dry, a bit of DME might balance it out.

Pears have a significant amount of sorbitol or maybe it’s xylitol. Anyways a sugar alcohol that doesn’t ferment, so perry ferments naturally sweeter than apple ciders.
Last year I pressed 1 bucket of pears along with 5 buckets of apples. Resulted in 4 gallons of juice. The result was the best cider or whatever you want to call it I ever had.

1 Like

Notty is okay but I’d use Cote des Blancs, way better.

2 Likes

+1. I’d use cote des blancs. Avoid notty like the plague.

1 Like

Notty = peachy

1 Like

Notty in cider = weak-stomached grizzly bear with IBS that ate a rhino that just filled up on partially fermented kidney beans. But just my experience. :laughing:

2 Likes

Rhino & kidney is what I got from S-04.

2 Likes

I am seriously laughing my head off at the yeast comments! Cote des Blancs it is. Thanks so much for the advice and vivid pictures of what Notty will do to my pear juice! You guys are the best! :joy:

I don’t want to speak for Dave, but I don’t think we were talking about what it does to the juice… :laughing:

3 Likes