High pitch

I brewed an IPA and pitched the yeast at 80 degrees Fahrenheit with the Mutons dry yeast… My fault I wanted to pitch at 70 degrees Fahrenheit … After just one day in the fermenter the Krausen has totally dropped … Is everything ok or did I mess up fermentation by pitching too high

I’ve never used Muntons yeast, but I think it is a fairly neutral yeast. Pitching and fermenting at high temperatures will speed the fermentation. Might have produced some fruity esters due to the high temperature fermentation.

The fermentation isn’t done even though the krausen has fallen. Take a hydrometer sample for SG in about five days to see where it is at and for a taste of the beer. Remember it is a green beer without carbonation or conditioning when you taste it. It won’t taste like a fully matured beer yet.

Try pitching your ale yeasts in the low 60°F range aiming for a fermentation temperature around 64° to 68°F to avoid ester production with neutral yeasts.

Yeah pitched at 80 degrees but most of high krausenit was at 64 got it down to 64 degrees in a couple of hours with ice packs and its holding aroun 64 degrees

You’re probably okay. In a few days you could start letting the temperature slowly rise to the upper 60° range.

1 Like