High OG on chocolate milk stout

hhhhmmm, chocolate syrup… I would suspect the gravity is high due to the syrup having preservatives that have killed the yeast, and the bitterness from a concentrated chocolate/cocoa… Sneezles61

In my mind, the pieces of the recipe appear to support your suspicion.

Fermenation has stopped, FG is high,time for a forced fermentation test?

It’s still bubbling

1.023 is a reasonable final gravity for a milk stout. The lactose is non-fermentable and will push up your final gravity considerably. I did that kit several years ago, and my terminal gravity was… (drum roll)… 1.022. I bet it’s done. Give it a few more days and check again, but you’re in the right ballpark.

OK. That’s good to know.

Earlier it was noted that

So give it a couple of more days and take another SG reading. If it’s still high relative to the estimated FG reading, some additional work will need to be done to decide if fermenation has finished or if it’s stuck.

Good point and counterbalance to what @sneezles61 mentioned , but over in the other thread the FG was estimated at 15.

Seeing the full recipe at the start of the thread would have been helpful.

I bet it’s done. op why are you expecting 1.014? A milk stout should be sweet. If the final gravity hasn’t changed over 4 days then most likely it’s done. A forced fermentation test could be done but is a waste of time in my opinion.