Hey, you composters

Just a heads up for ya’, and it may not be news to ya’ anyhow, but I’ve followed this article / info for quite awhile, as I compost everything from the kitchen 'cept meat and bones, and all my yard trimmings, etc…

Also, a damn good magazine with lots of info, iffn’ you’ve never read one.

Just KNOW where your compos-tables / manures come from, and what the critters were fed, or what their feedstock were treated with!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic- ... z2M7nGZBjt

Hope it can help some of you!

Interesting article. Scary how stuff can leach into something like compost without you knowing. On another note I kind of know someone who worked in a hog barn and they would just discard dead hogs into the compost pile of farm material. Now, this wasn’t a backyard compost pile like ours, but one for acres and acres of crops that generated a ton of heat and apparently their is a legally mandated limit as to how many hogs you can toss in there a day. Not sure what they did with that compost but I found that interesting and slightly disturbing.

Anyways, I compost all my yard stuff and food scrapes and dump it into the garden every so often.

[quote=“inhousebrew”]Now, this wasn’t a backyard compost pile like ours, but one for acres and acres of crops that generated a ton of heat and apparently their is a legally mandated limit as to how many hogs you can toss in there a day. Not sure what they did with that compost but I found that interesting and slightly disturbing.[/quote]We send cardboard, wood, and paper to a local landfill that runs a huge commercial composting operation as a separate business and when I audited the site I was told that they can put a horse carcass in a windrow and it’ll be gone with no trace in three days, including the bones! They have a contract with the county to pick up all the dead animals along the roads for disposal.

Crazy things heat can do indeed. I should specify I’m not personally against this practice, just thought it was interesting to through out there. But now that I think about it, does this make our compost vegetarian unfriendly? Again though, not that I can. Sorry veggies :cheers: