Help with cans!

I remember the little Blatz cream ale… And no one could explain an Ale to me…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Here is a question to ask. If you like 12oz beer would you buy a 16oz if that’s all that’s available? Or if you like 16oz would you take a 12oz. I very rarely buy a 16iz for myself. Some breweries do the 4 pack 12oz to keep the price down. The price of a 16oz 4 pack is often a deal breaker.

Yes, I like beer. (Cue Tom T. Hall)

2 Likes

Personally, I prefer the 16 oz version. The vast majority of my Tavour selections come this way. However, whenever I’m at a brewery, I like to try as many offerings as possible, so typically flights are in order when available. I’m less inclined to buy a 4 pack of 16s or a 6 pack of 12s (unless it’s something I really like) than 1 or 2 crowlers if they’re available. I’ve got over 2,800 unique checkins on untappd and am always searching for new beers when I can find them. I take a growler with me when I’m headed to a local brewery that doesn’t do crowlers. There are less than 10 beers that I buy regularly on an annual basis, I just brew the rest, so I may be an anomaly.

When I get together with my college buddies at the end of each year for our boys weekend, we typically bring and share crowlers around 3-5 of us who enjoy craft beers. We then build our trophy wall over the course of the weekend :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

I see some Lustra in there @radagast, whats your handle on untappd? if you don’t mind me asking. I’m pretty much on same page as you and I don’t buy much local (not too many great offerings round here). I do, however, buy lots of 16oz 4 packs when traveling. Some I trade, some I consume.

1 Like

I think the pounders are winning at this point, 63-36… hmmm, that sounds like the OSU-TTUN football score from 2018(actually 62-39). O-H!

12oz is what I prefer IF I buy cans. I prefer bottled beer myself.

1 Like

I used to feel the same way but I think modern cans are way better than they were years ago. Cans are also much better for travel and in a cooler. I think it also was the thinking that good craft beer only came in bottles. Now some craft beer does not come in bottles at all.

Cans are cheaper and easier for breweries I don’t think it has anything to do with quality. It’s true not much variety in bottles. Doesn’t much matter a beer should be poured into a glass anyway. Cans are better for camping and fishing definitely

Same here. I think Oskar Blues brewing went a long way toward changing minds. I remember what an odd decision It seemed to be for a respected craft Brewer to go all in on cans. This was at least 10 -12 years ago I’d guess.

It just makes sense because as Brewers we are aware of what can go wrong with that little unavoidable headspace in bottles…

The other concern 40-60 years ago was/were off tastes from various can lining materials…no longer an issue, unless another one of those “supertasters” (@dannyboy58 :joy:) who can also taste BIAB brews is asked. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

A can is just a transporter anyways… Beam me up Scotty!!
Sneezles61

1 Like

haha…yea the material the can is made from, pH of the water used in the mash, what type of brew system it was brewed on and what the weather was that day! :joy:

3 Likes

Way back when I had a friend who only drank beer from Keewanaw Brewing, Michigan’s 1st canned craft brew, when they were out Jeeping. Didn’t want to risk broken glass from the rough trails. Now there are a plethora of choices.

1 Like

It actually does! Cans prevent 100% of light as well as no O2 ingress. Bottles, even dark ones, can’t prevent 100% of light and are prone to some oxidation.

1 Like

And they beak

With a “certain” amount of care… You can do a controlled emptying of the vessel… Into another vessel…
Sneezles61

It’s just one of those things growing up my Dad always bought bottled beer. Miller High Life to be exact. My first beer with him was on the tailgate of his old Chevy truck after working (he owned a construction company). I think I was 19. I grew up drinking beer from a bottle. BUT, there is a place for beer cans. Swimming at the gravel pits as a teenager, camping or the time my buddy and I hiked the Grand Canyon for 4 days with two sixers wrapped in hot ice. And to this day I won’t turn down a cold CAN of beer :beer: I just prefer bottles.

2 Likes

I remember Keystone ads claiming they had specially lined cans. I was pretty sure all beer cans were lined.

I also remember a bunch of of rather than staying in school all afternoon had a spring picnic party. We bought cases of Bud cans (wasn’t my fake ID) only to discover they had no pull tabs and no one had a church key. We finally found someone with one and party on! Well until the cops showed up :angry:

3 Likes

You guys didn’t carry the trusty Swiss army survival knife? What??!!
Sneezles61

Funny a few years later I started carrying a Swiss army knife. There is one in my pocket right now.