Heavy Metal In Your Home-Brewering

Is it possible that you find heavy metal in your homebrewing, and what will you do if you are in such a situation?

Me every time. Testament slayer. Death angel. While brewing. But if you got it into your water. I would get a trusted water report so you can figur out whats going on. Mean while would switch to other water supply. Once you know. Start adjusting your brew water

8 Likes

You mean lead?

Talk to a water treatment company… They will tell you about filters, even a RO system, then you’ll be safe… Of course, don’t turn up the stereo loud enough to let Rammstein infuse with your water… Sneezles61

1 Like

Ramstein. Your brew will be full of heavy metal

1 Like

You need to try to find out if the heavy metal is from your water source, or from your kettle or chiller or other equipment, or a combination. Not sure how this would be accomplished – are there inexpensive water tests for heavy metals? Then replace whatever water or equipment is causing the problem.

Sorry I never really got into heavy metal. Metallica is about as close as I get. Well, some of the new Queensryche ain’t bad either, if it counts(?).

@Rosi1, why do you think you have heavy metal in your water? If it’s common in the area you live in then definitely get your water tested. Or better yet, just use bottled or RO water.

Are you guaranteed a heavy metal infection if you brew while watching the Heavy Metal movie (1981) and blasting the soundtrack? :loud_sound:
2 Likes

Funny you bring that up, I was just thinking about that movie yesterday as I was reading these posts. Trippy movie but truth be told, not a lot of actual heavy metal in the movie. Journey(!?) Stevie Nicks(!!??) Riggs? There was as much synth pop and nu wave as there was metal(The Mob Rules, Black Sabbath) Sammy Hagar, etc

Queensryche. Rules. Love them

1 Like

Being busy with my work these days, and had forgotton this post. Thanks!

no, I mean Hg…

Will see this movie when I am out of work:slight_smile:

Did you break a thermometer into the batch that had Mercury in it?

None of my equipment welded. I cannot think of any other source of potential mercury you might be concerned about

Water from a well could have heavy metals… Sneezles61

Do you mean well water? I mean, drinking water is usually sterilized before it flows into your pipe. So in this circumstance you find heavy metal? Some filtration device may be helpful here, like this: 0.45 um Filters
Just for reference, since they are for a small amount of water and I think you may need to filter a great deal.

Well water yes… Huh… Isn’t lead a heavy metal too? Sneezles61

Thank you, i dio not know that the heavy metal may from the equipment. I will check, thank you so much! I am very glad you never got into any heavy metal.:palm_tree:

no.haha. I am just preparing for my first homebrewing, My grandfather told me that well water is good for brewing. So I was just wondering if I need to worry about heavy metals since we didn’t use well water for a long time.

thanks anyway. :grin: