Has anyone done the Cream ale extract kit

Has anyone made this one yet. I ordered it and will brew it next week. My Koslch seems to be fermenting well. Looking forward to the outcome for that one.

Yes I have, turned out well. Do you have any questions?

So what is the flavor that i am looking for? Also how long did you leave it in first fermentation before you transferred it to the secondary?

You can expect the beer to be a little sweeter than a regular ale. I let it sit for a full two weeks before moving to the secondary. But some of the brewers on this forum like to let their beer sit in the primary for three weeks, then take the SG to see if fermentation is done. They don’t use a secondary, so it’s up to you how to proceed. Enjoy it’s a good kit. Oh yeah forgot to mention not bitter at all.

I did the cream ale extract kit a couple of months ago and it came out good, I will do it again. Three weeks in the fermenter and three weeks in the bottle, my standard routine.
I wanted to try something different so after racking it to the bottling bucket with priming sugar I bottled half of it then added 2oz of cherry extract to the remaining and bottled it. It was OK, very light cherry flavor. Next time I would use more extract, maybe the full 4oz for the 2.5 +/- gallons.

1 Like

+1 for split batches and “dialing it in”.

I’ve also done split batches in secondary to try out different dry hop combinations (and strengths). If your looking to try out a bunch of dry hop (or fruit) combinations quickly, half gallon mason jars filled to the 5 cup (40 oz) line typically result in a three test bottle batch.

Has anybody done the coffee cream ale version? That is next up for me.

That does sound interesting let us know how it turns out

Will do! Going to brew it this weekend, should be ready by 1st week of April.

So the coffee cream ale kit was pretty much done fermenting today. Only sat in the primary for 7 days before the krausen dropped back into the beer. I was expecting longer than 7 days in the primary. Added the coffee today, so we’ll see what happens. It really darkened up the beer, but it could lighten back up is my guess once it all settles out. I used the full 4 oz only because I am a coffee nut. Im going to let it sit for at least another 7 days and taste test it the. Gravity reading was 1.010; right where it should be.

2 Likes

Coffee cream ale went to the keg today. For flat, warm beer it tasted not too bad. plenty of coffee aroma, but not as much coffee taste. The carbonation should help bring out the coffee flavor more.

1 Like

You can’t really really get a coffee flavored beer that at all comes close to the taste of a real cup of coffee. So having the aroma is great. Congrats

I agree. I’m a coffee nut so the real thing is always the best, but love having the aroma from my beer.

Reviving this old thread but just finished my cream ale, added 2 oz each of banana and vanilla extracts to the 5 gal. bottling bucket, came out fantastic! Really mellow but pleasant banana flavors(like a banana split ice cream). Easy to brew and good results. Only did 2 weeks primary and bottled right on the 14th day, FG was 1.011. Will definitely repeat this recipe to get more. Luckily stumbled upon a good mix for my first brew.

2 Likes

Welcome to the NB forum… Maybe share your full recipe? Sounds interesting enough…
Sneezles61