Harvested safale us-05

It was about 6 oz of slurry straight from the fridge. Its about a month old. Is it better to warm the slurry up before pitching?

It lags a bit when you pitch it cold but it will still work. I’ve taken to bringing up to room temp before pitching. When it’s a finicky yeast I make a starter and harvest off the starter and pitch the remainder. But that would not be economical with US05 I suppose.

1 Like

That should be a decent pitch. If you aerated the wort well I would have expected it to start overnight but it should get going soon. With month old slurry I’d probably have done a 1L vitality starter and pitched it at high K.

I’ve never used 05 but I swear by wy1056 which I’ve always heard is the same strain.

2 Likes

Just checked and the airlock is rockin and nice krausen forming. Guess I just panicked a little, lots of hops in that one so I really want it to turn out. Thanks

2 Likes

That yeast is a workhorse. I’ve pitched some that was pretty old and never failed. I’ll save a little and always try to have a package or 2 around. It’s the Chico strain like the 1056 but don’t need to bother with a a starter just sprinkle a pack or two and go

1 Like

When you have some yeast which you intend to reuse… I’d always take it out a day before and make a starter… No matter what yeast it is… Sneezles61

5 Likes

Same here. Making a starter lets you see what’s up before you toss it in hard earned wort.

(Ahh heck! Didn’t mean to bump a month old thread.)

2 Likes