Harpoon Octoberfest

Did you try the Saranac darktoberfest. Or the regular octoberfest. They had a 12 pack variety with those two plus a pumpkin I didn’t want a 12ver but I’m curious.

So…bought a six of the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest and it certainly didn’t disappoint! Outstanding. They use an heirloom barley called Steffi and the malt really shines through. It was a collaboration with a 600 year old Bavarian family brewery brauhaus Riegele.

Bought a 6-er of SN this weekend as well. It was very tasty! The malt flavor in this beer was crisp and prominent. This blows Sam Adams away. You can definitely taste the German influence in this one.

Keep forgetting to look for this. Had a Spaten O’fest on tap today though. So good.

I bought a six of Peak Organic Oktoberfest.

It’s smooth. The good way kind of smooth but I need more malt a just a wee bit more hops. Harpoon is still the best I have had this season, but Peak Organic is worth the price ($11.00 per six here in NYC)

The real fun of course is hunting down Oktoberfest beers and drinking them.

[quote=“Twirlcan”]

The real fun of course is hunting down Oktoberfest beers and drinking them.[/quote]

Absolutely agree. I’ve tried more this year than past years probably because of this forum. I did try the Hofbrauhaus version but it came in the infamous green glass bottle and seemed a little off. Have to find it on tap.

My favorite(other than HB) Oktoberfest has been Sammy. Personally, I think this year’s version is everything that I want in an Oktoberfest. But based on this thread I decided to try a sixer of Harpoon and a sixer of Sierra Nevada. For me, the Harpoon was ehhh, Ok but nothing special. The Sierra is great. A lot lighter in color than Sammys, but the maltiness comes through very nicely. I like it! :cheers:

Anyone have New Glarous stag horn Oktoberfest ? Some one gave me a six yesterday and I havnt got into it yet.

I’ve had it in the past. Very good beer.

Continuing to try Oktoberfest lagers from both Germany and the States. Highly recommend you try Ayinger. Leans more toward the Maerzen category than the lighter festbiers. Great malty flavor but what sets this one apart is the finish, crisp and a little tart. Wow.

I tried something that was quite fabulous this weekend. I can’t remember the brewery but it was a cask conditioned whiskey barrel Oktoberfest served at room temps. It was fabulous! There is a national chain called The Pub (which as you guess, is an English-style Pub) that always has a real ale on tap and they never disappoint.

Sierra Nevada. Just had this weekend. Absolutely awesome.

Just sat down with SN and I agree very well done. Its a little lighter than many, not much crystal malts I imagine. I wonder if they used any Vienna.

Another one to try this Autumn, this time domestic in origin is from Highland Brewing in Asheville NC. Clawhammer Oktoberfest is a traditional amber Maerzen which I thought was a tasty US example of the style. Worth a try.

I just had the Yuengling Oktoberfest this evening. Very good IMO. Worth checking out.

Picked up a 6 of the SN Oktoberfest. If this is what they’re serving in Germany I guess Dave is right they’re into yellow and fizzy. It’s a good beer don’t get me wrong. A well crafted bohemian pils in my opinion. It’s just not what I think of as O’fest. Maybe it’s my American bias or whatever. My personal O’fest is somewhere between my Vienna and my Dunkel. Maybe I have it all wrong.

Had the sn tonight…very lingering bitter finish…nowhere near as smooth as the ayinger…both good though…much better than Sam Adams.

From my understanding we do. Sounds like typical Americanization of things. Take their Oktoberfest and make it bigger and bolder! Makes sense too as I often wondered how people could go to Oktoberfest and drink 6%-7% beers all day and night. Sure I have seen photos of the bierleichen but still.

From my understanding we do. Sounds like typical Americanization of things. Take their Oktoberfest and make it bigger and bolder! Makes sense too as I often wondered how people could go to Oktoberfest and drink 6%-7% beers all day and night. Sure I have seen photos of the bierleichen but still.[/quote]

i agree - most craft interpretations nowadays seem to be leaning toward bocks.

still a little shocked at the opinion that the SN version is a ‘bohemian pils’ but okay.

FWIW it seems like the backed off the bitterness after the first run (6/30/15) - successive batches have been a bit maltier.

[quote=“blatz”]
i agree - most craft interpretations nowadays seem to be leaning toward bocks. [/quote]

Yes, that is it. I am drinking Blue Point Brewery’s Oktoberfest now and it had an aftertaste that I thought was familiar but I couldn’t place it and then I read “bock” and thats it.

Its a good beer, but its a Bock that says its Oktoberfest.

It does not have a high ABV (5.7 according to their website) but the Bocky-ness seems to discourage refreshing big gulps.

Blue Point’s toasted lager is always worth picking up.