Harpoon Octoberfest

I’d have to say it is about the best Octoberfest I have tried that was sold in the US. I drank it next to a Sam Adams Octoberfest and it made Sam just “seem ok”. Its been a while since I have been really impressed with a beer.

I guess Boston is a hotspot for Ofest. Must be the water. " love that dirty water"

Ok, now I gotta buy a six of this. Love Oktoberfest lagers and even some pumpkin ales and this time of year in general. My own Oktoberfest that SWMBO and I bottled Saturday was a monster that clocked in at a ABV of 8.1%. But oh boy it was good even pre bottle conditioning. I believe I am going to name this bad boy FrankenSTEIN Oktoberfest :mrgreen:

Anybody else enjoy schlaflys pumpkin ale?

Today is the start of my “weekend” so I am now lifting a liter of Brooklyn Brewery’s Oktoberfest.

It’s decent but their Lager is much better and their IPA is better than their Lager.

Harpoon and Sam’s have this Oktoberfest beat by a mile but it is still a respectable beer (going to finish the whole liter of course)

But it has this aftertaste I can only describe as a fleeting “musty” sensation. Where you drink it and think “did I just taste my grandma’s closet?”

I know that sounds like a dramatic criticism but this is so very faint but noticeable enough to mention.

(and with huge gulps it is not noticeable at all…so if you get this beer drink very fast)

So anyone got any other Oktoberfests I should try? My fridge is not doing anything else until I get my brewing going.

I haven’t got around to buying it yet but I hear the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is good this year. It is a collaboration with a German brewer.

I have been impressed by everything Sierra Nevada has put out, but I have not seen their Oktoberfest for sale in my neighborhood yet.

I will drop whatever I am doing to snatch up their Bigfoot anytime I see it.

Would love to try it. One of the few highly rated Pumpkin ales I haven’t had yet…I think it has limited distribution in the St Louis area??

Available in Iowa this time of year…not sure how far it reaches.

Definitely pick up the Sierra Nevada. It is a fine example of the style and I think they will be partnering with a different German brewer every year for the next several years to make it, so this is the one and only year to get this particular brew. I also pick up a 6 of Spaten every year.

Had a sixer of SN Oktoberfest. I thought it was an excellent beer. It did say right on the bottle one time only.

Spaten is good just drink them now, not much shelf life in those green bottles.

Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner are my two go-to favorites. Can’t say I’m a fan of any of the American ones (though SN’s is not too bad).
The only two domestic ones I’ve had though that actually tasted like the best German imported brews were one from the very short lived Red Bank Brewing here in NJ (around 20 years ago) and one from Gordon Beirsch (which I enjoyed while I was working on the west coast for a few months, around 12 years ago).

[quote=“The Professor”]Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner are my two go-to favorites. Can’t say I’m a fan of any of the American ones (though SN’s is not too bad).
The only two domestic ones I’ve had though that actually tasted like the best German imported brews were one from the very short lived Red Bank Brewing here in NJ (around 20 years ago) and one from Gordon Beirsch (which I enjoyed while I was working on the west coast for a few months, around 12 years ago).[/quote]

Spaten, on draft or Warsteiner in cans. Both more of a festbier than a marzen (less toasty malts). Dying to try SN’s.

Re: Pumpkin, Schlafly is one of the best pumpkins out there (that I’ve had). And I am in ST Pumpking country.

Up here, we have Lake Superior brewing Co., Not the one by you Brew Cat, over here in Duluth, and when they have their Octoberfest party, the keg is as fresh as i’ll ever get to… I keep trying bottled fest…… they just fall way short, too much time traveling around? LSB do sell out quickly and I can usually get 3 growlers. Sneezles61 :cheers:

DAMN I meant pork chop……forgive me.Sneezles61 :oops:

SN Oktoberfest is the best example I’ve had of the style - and the style is one of my favorites. i’m going to pick some more up this weekend. Will look for the Harpoon too though - Sam Adams has become a disappointment to me the last few years.

I am drinking SN Oktoberfest right now. Its good but not as good as Harpoon IMO. Its better than Sam’s though.

Found a few more festbiers at the co-op here today and tried Weihenstephaner Festbier (Oktoberfest) which is lighter in color and body and very easy drinking for the style. Still haven’t gotten around to the Harpoon or SN yet!

Does Weihenstephaner make anything that’s not excellent?

Tried Saranac last night. Different than the others I’ve had. Has a citrus hoppiness to it. It’s a pretty solid beer but it doesn’t scream octoberfest to me.