Happy Brew Year

What better time to start the brew year. 8deg and sunny no wind. Water is heating ESPN queued up. Doing the quick Pale and souring the gose today watching some bowl games

3 Likes

A regular heat wave … I think we are in positive digits here now after walking the dog in -4 this am. I have never tried brewing in weather like this. Last batch was at 38 deg and my hands froze cleaning and rinsing with the garden hose.

Good luck!

1 Like

In the winter I mash indoors in my heated basement. Then do the boil just inside the garage door which is only a few steps from my heated room. So I never actually go outside. I used to but gave that up

I may try something similar. My basement has a set of doors leading to the cement steps up to the big steel bulkhead doors. I was thinking maybe I could mash in the basement and then boil on the cement steps with the steel bulkhead doors wide open and the bottom doors closed. Prob would not even need the wort chiller today.

I heard people doing that. Just watch for backdraft. If the steam is going up the fumes should be also. Yes I filled a bin with water and snow outside, chilled pretty quickly

1 Like

Did a lot of brewing this weekend, as I got a second Spiedal fermenter for Christmas as well as having a nice four day weekend.

I did a blonde ale just for fun, and this “tropical stout” from the Mad Fermentationist blog. Hopefully they come out great, I happily hit the target gravity both times

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2017/08/tropical-stout-with-muscavado.html

1 Like