Gulo Ale Yeast from Omega

I just did a sampling of a Brut style ale at my LHBS. They late additioned with some Hallertau and I can honestly say that their brew made me want to try making a Brut again. But here’s their trick they did not add enzymes but instead used this incredibly new diastatic yeast from Omega.

“Gulo Ale is the latest creation to emerge from the curious minds of Omega Yeast. The progeny of Irish Ale (OYL-005) and French Saison (OYL-026), this true genetic hybrid is a beast at devouring sugars, which creates a very dry beer without any of the peppery, clove phenolics associated with saisons and Belgian ales. Expect a citrus-forward aroma with hints of peach and a clean finish. Gulo Ale excels in any style where a high level of attenuation is desired without phenolics. We love using it in an IPA (including a brut IPA), stout, or Bière de Garde.”

1 Like

Gulo! I have a Kviek type strain named Fehu. Sounds like names from a new Star Wars.

2 Likes

I know your into mixed fermentation but for those who are unfamiliar with diastaticus you have to treat it like a wild yeast. If it gets into your soft material you could have lots of trouble.

2 Likes

I’ve had 2 cross contaminated batches. I now use bleach when I’m uncertain… rinse, rinse… then Starsan.