Growing mushrooms

does anyone know anything about using spent grain to grow mushrooms, just a random idea I had started to research on

Worth trying though my mushroom growing has been limited to those kits that use spent coffee grounds. I hear spent grain is especially good for growing shiitake and oyster mushrooms because of the high nitrogen content.

ok thanks for the information, I am currently trying to cultivate baby bellas, shitake and oyster mushrooms, I will post my results in this thread

so any results?

I kind of got into cheese making none so far, do have two sandwich bags filled with grain and another filled with a mix of used coffee grounds and used grain it has done by far the best as far as inoculating goes

Here’s an excerpt form Experimental Brewing, a book by Drew Beechum and me that will be released next Nov.

To start the process, you’ll want to visit fungi.com a few weeks ahead of time and get some mushroom spawn. There are a number of varieties for your choosing, but Mike recommends Oyster or Old Man’s Beard for beginning mycologists because of their rapid growth and culinary usefulness.

The basic concept is: dry the malt, kill the various organisms (including lactobacillus) found on the malt. Allow the mushroom spores to consume the malt and its nutrients before exposing it to the sun and encourage fruit (mushrooms) to form. All the while, you want to prevent exposure to dust to avoid contamination of the fragile colony.

After a few weeks work (really, mostly just spend ignoring the whole thing) you’ll be rewarded with a big pile of glorious mushrooms ready for chow time.

[Technique: Growing Mushrooms]
Parts Needed:
• • Foil lined cookie sheet
• • Malt to fill the sheet
• • Mushroom spawn (1/10th of the malt, by weight)
• • Hydrogen Peroxide (1% of the malt weight)
• • Paper Grocery Bag
• • 2 Plastic Totes (Clear/Translucent)

Recipe Steps:

1. Fill the cookie sheet with malt and dry in a 450F oven for 30 minutes.
    1. Mix the malt and hydrogen peroxide.
    1. Break up the mushroom spawn into tiny pieces. Each piece will serve as a colony.
    1. Mix the spawn and malt and place in the grocery bag. Fold the bag top over and secure it with a light weight. (You want oxygen exchange, but no dust)
    1. Place the bag in a tote or crate and store in a dark location that is about 65F
    1. When the mushroom colony looks like a big white cloudy mass, it’s time to encourage the colony to fruit. Move the bag to a warmer spot (75F) with visible sunlight. Cut X’s into the bag to provide spawning locations. Cover the bag with the other plastic tote to retain humidity for improved yield.
    1. Harvest and enjoy!
      [/Technique]

Mike also advises would be mushroom farmers to read up on the hobby and become aware just how far away from sterilization the typical homebrewer’s practice of sanitation actually is. The whole process is fascinating with many varieties and variations of fungi and techniques.

Denny, thanks for posting that. When you say “malt” do you mean spent grain?

Yep.

what about moisture I was under the impression that mushrooms needed moisture to grow, do you have too wet them in order to get them to fruit

I also want to grow mushroom. Most of the time I tried but it doesn’t work.