Great Altbier recipe suggestions

I’ll second that as a good AG kit.

Jus bumping this so I can do some research. Think of brewing something similar

Still brew this. Any changes? Im in design mode.

Yes i still brew it about three times a years no changes.

I do like the spicyness of tet. You say .5 oz is that a WP addition?

I just noticed i forgot that above in the recipe yes Wp addition.

Here is another recipe that i like better than that one.
Og 1.048
Fg 1.010
IBUs 39
Abv 5%

8.5 lb Pilsner malt
0.25 lb Chocolate malt
0.25 lb Caravienna
0.25 lb Munich
2 oz Tettnanger 3.9 AA 60 min
1 oz Tettnanger 3.9 AA @ flame out

1 Like

I don’t have any pilsner right now but I do have Vienna I’d like to use up. I have caramunich and chocolate malt. Need to get the hops but going to have a healthy yeast cake in a week or 2. I was thinking about 40 IBU would be nice. Do you have any tasting notes on it?

My tasting notes as i have them wrote down. Well balance malt and bitterness. Clean with rich toasty and bready malt flavors.The hops tettnanger giving a little spiciness that blends well with the malty flavors. Is soft and elegant with a rich malty after taste thats not to heavy or cloying. The beer finishes dry malty and bitter but yet smooth and clean. OVER ALL WELL BALANCED

2 Likes

The following recipe scored me a 45 and a 2nd Best of Show. I was pretty darn happy with it. You’ll see that I used multiple different pale base malts, and that’s only because I was using up some leftovers. In future I would just stick with all German pilsner malt for the combo of German and Belgian pils and the American 2-row pale malt. Other than that… yeah…

3 Likes

Well okay then. 38-40 IBU it is. I’ll see what I have for bittering and I’ll pick up something fresh for the late addition. I also am trying to use up stuff i have. So I’ll go with mostly Vienna, 3-row and I have e maybe a lb of pale. In the fall I’ll buy more stuff to replace my supply.

Going with this. I have everything but the tet.

There’s a busy grainbill… May look at the pre boil gravity…
I’d like to see your tasting notes… I like rye alot but I’ve had some difficulties with it. Sneezles61

Not really, all stuff I have. Little rye for protein touch of chocolate for color. The caramunich for weight and the acid malt for ph

Looks great @brew_cat. My one suggestion is that German pilsner malt would give you greater authenticity over American pale malt. But it will be a great beer either way. Enjoy.

I agree and normally I have German pilsner in stock and would use it