Gravity question

I have also read that recooking the fermented beer at 180* will burn of the alcohol, so I’m also thinking about that.

You might be better off getting some boiled and chilled (de-aerated) water, and diluting it down a bit.

3 Likes

Alcohol breaks the bond between water molecules causing water to evaporate at a lower temperature. You may lose some water with the alcohol, defeating the purpose. You might end up with it tasting like cooked beer. It would kill of the yeast though.
I would try Voltron’s idea personally. You could also brew a small beer and blend, either at packaging or in your glass.

Not sure if you keg or bottle…but I defintely wouldn’t bottle a beer if it isn’t at final gravity, ask me how I know,lol

I’d go with @voltron 's idea. Easy, peezy. There is even a calculator around somewhere to guide you to the right amount of water to reach a specfic TOG.

2 Likes

Take out almost half the beer and put it in the fridge. Add water Back to the fermenter. If you have 5 gallons of a 9% beer then you’ll end up with 10 gallons of a 4.5% beer. While less then perfect beer is mostly water regardless

Off topic, did you get the job at Stone Brewing in Richmond?

Brewers friend. Got this formula. On how to lower your gravity

1 Like

No. I did get an interview, but did not get the job. :frowning:

Trying to evaporator the alcohol will likely end in a cooked beer flavor and exposes it to severe oxidation. I would avoid this. I agree with others that blending or dilution with DEAERATED and CARBONATED water.

And with all due respect, this isn’t a Beersmith issue. Beersmith makes calculations based on the settings and data inputted. You’ll need to get into the program and figure out where you went wrong. 5% to 9% is too big of a gap to think that it’s a small bump in efficiency or a better crush, etc.

2 Likes

I agree loopie. This was my first time using Beersmith. It was an extract recipe that we found. It did not give the estimated OG, so I plugged in what they gave for fermentables, and it seemed really small, I think around 3.5%. So we bumped it up to what shows an estimated OG of 1.054, with ABV at 5.7. The measured OG ended up 1.082. If it ferments all the way down to the estimated 1.011, we’re looking at 9.5%.

Recipe calls for 3lbs Pale ale DME, 5 pilsner DME, and 14oz of vienna malt grain if that helps.

Brew date was 6/28, and until this past weekend, fermentation has been visibly active.

Hmmmm,So with an extract beer, there is always the possibility that you simply didn’t have a fully mixed solution when you checked your specific gravity on brew day. Since it’s been fermenting and presumably mixing well by now, I would check another specific gravity before you did anything.

Edit; LOL, not awake yet. Since it’s been almost a month now since your June 28 brew day, I guess I would still check a gravity and taste the beer to see if it tastes like a 9% monster; if it tastes OK it may still have been an incorrect original gravity on brew day.

My plan is to get a gravity this weekend, and we’ll see where it is then.

Well it’s too late to tell what was the issue for OG bring so high… Yeah, stratafyd water to wort… Sugar to water ratio… OR Brad has a bug in his stuff…
Sneezles61

Yeah as soon as I sent that I realized I was throwing out a cement life preserver, LOL​:joy::joy::joy:Taking Benadryl to help me sleep has its risks

2 Likes

We knew you knew… Figured it was a big sample of yer plinian!! :hugs:
Sneezles61

1 Like

I put your recipe in Beersmith and it gave me a big beer so I’m thinking your gravity reading was not off. In any event I think you’ll be able to tell right off if it’s a monster. I like @voltron 's and @mrv’s ideas and think if you did samples to find the right dilution ratio you could knock it down. Personally unless the taste and feel is unpalatable, I’d resign myself to it’s one of those “it is what it is” deals where you drink it with caution or it’s one, two, three, floor. Good luck!

3 Likes

That’s what confused me. Here’s my recipe in Beersmith