Got a deal on cornys—what's bare minimum to complete the setup?

So here’s the deal:

A guy on the local craigslist (reputable, a semi-public local figure) is offering me a dozen(!) corny kegs for $100 total. Seems like a steal, right? But of course the kegs aren’t everything

What’s the bare minimum of other stuff I would need to get a kegging setup going? Roughly how much do y’all think it would cost, on top of the kegs?

I’m not sure it’s worth it to me right now, given my budget, but I could probably flip the kegs even if I don’t end up using them myself. Or I could keep the number I need and flip the rest to pay for the extra odds and ends.

Noticed this, as well, which might be a nice complement: http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/atq/5961142260.html

Thats a good deal. I think. Only thing. Got to get a rebuild kit for the kegs. Orings. Other thing. A co2 regulator. Co2 tank. Hoses. Keg conectors. Tap to pour beer. A fridge. Maybe chance your. Fridge to kegurator. Me got three. Kegs hooked up all the time. So pour three kinds of beer. But start out small. One tap hooked to the beer tap. So two kegs. In the fridge. But. If you do it right. Get a gas block. With. Three kegs hooked up in the fridge. Two on tap. And one carbonating think about. 200$ you are ready to go

1 Like

Hell, even if you flip them, that’s a freaking gift.

Fridge, co2, regulator, either picnic tap or faucet, and a billion little fittings that will put you in the pour house (see what I did there?)

Add in spare o-rings, keg lube, tools (deep socket for posts, faucet wrench, beer line cleaning pump), etc. Whatever you figure, add in an extra hundred bucks for incidentals.

1 Like

That is a real deal. Take it even if you can’t recondition a couple of them to get into kegging a few years from now.

1 Like

I agree with @flars. Just because you have the kegs don’t mean you need to fill them. Start buying stuff pieces at a time that you can afford. Before you know it you’ll have what you need.

1 Like

I can’t buy one keg for that price. Grab them.

Fridge, regulator and your CO2 tank are the big initial “must buy” costs. Fittings, hoses, o-rings, lube, tools all together will add up, but won’t break the bank.

1 Like

What do y’all think about the 5-tap fridge I linked in the OP? Good deal or no?

Also, I know this varies from model to model, but what’s the rough monthly operating cost (in terms of utilities) for a fridge like that?

The value with this item depends upon how long it will last. I think of buying used refrigerators and freezers as high risk.

2 Likes

Getting them for free is different :grinning:

Snatch them kegs up!

1 Like

You need to ask him wants bottom line… then hagle some more… have cash and tell him you’ll be right over! I wouldn’t let this one get away… if its not too late already… Sneezles61

1 Like

Hard to tell but the fridge looks “newer.” The taps alone can get pricey, although I would eventually replace a couple of them with a forward seal like Perlick. I wouldn’t plan on keeping 5 beers on tap unless you brew a lot and hardly drink. That’s quiet a lot if brewing.

He said he can package deal. I would ask for total of the kegs, fridge, the 20lb CO2 (around here there is only a $3-$4 difference between getting 5 vs 10lb filled), and a regulator.

1 Like

Well, I’d most likely get the kegs from the other guy (the keg deal described in the OP is separate from the fridge). I’ll probably ask about a CO2 package deal, though.

I doubt I’d ever have 5 on tap, but my girlfriend and I tend to buy in bulk, so I was thinking I could use the extra space for food storage if I can figure out a way to do that neatly. And at $200 it’s far cheaper than the 1-2 tap kegerators on CL.

I would look for a new fridge. So at least no issue. Of having issues. A second hand fridge not working. Small fridge for three kegs not so bad at wall mart. But even if you buy the kegs. Its a super deal.

The taps and hand made drip tray are worth the $200. If it was close to me, I’d be looking at it.

A dozen cornies for $100? Grab them. Take as many as you need form the best of them and save a couple for parts. Check the manufacturer of them. There are a few different ones. Try to stick to the same so the parts interchange. Next rebuilt with new O rings. Lastly resell the left overs and recoup some of your cash.

1 Like

You are absolutely right and that is how you sell it to your GF. Honestly, it is nice to have dual purpose item. You can store saved yeast in the fridge and bulk hops in the freezer. Not to mention all those frozen pizzas!

1 Like

Well, picked these up today. 11 kegs for $100, with lots of spare parts.

They’re not in ideal condition, but I think I still got a bargain. And I know at least one of them still holds pressure just fine—some of them still had beer in them, and on one I accidentally used the OUT pressure relief valve instead of the IN and got a face full of highly pressurized, very old beer. :smiley:

1 Like

11 kegs for a $100 is a bargain even if half were missing handles! Good score!

Once you get into kegging you’ll appreciate having that many. Not necessarily because you can brew more but you won’t have to continually clean one or two as you finish them. Plus, they do make excellent storage vessels for big beers you want to age.

1 Like

I suspect you’ll be posting beer bottles to give away too! Yes, you got a deal, and with some searching on the web, you’ll find everything you need to refurbish/maintain them… Keep us posted about your progress! Sneezles61