Good day of brewing yesterday

Karma was in the cards yesterday. Was a little cool so had to watch my temps to hold them while circulating them. I did put in oats in the mash. I talked to Brain from ONCO about oats in an IPA. He said to be careful because of the biscuit flavor. He did mention to use wheat. I put in !% of the weight which was 1.6 oz. He also mentioned adding more water, which I thought due to thickening. Temps were 140 for rest 157 for mash out, and sparge at 167. I did was how fast the water was boiling. I did leave the lid on. Ended up with 5 gals.

1 Like

I love a successful brew day. Leaving the lid on during the boiling of the wort was one of the No-nos I was instructed early on. Here’s a nice Brülosophy Exbeeriment on the subject

I learn something again! I will wait and see. Right now the aroma from the carboy is good. Thank you for the info::+1:

a small pot probably lets most of the DMS escape with the steam even with the lid on. In a large commercial brewing system the steam is vented through a stack. Generally a condensation trap is incorporated in the vent to keep all the impurities from dripping back into the kettle.

thanks brew-cat

Nice day when everything comes together brewing wise

Yes it does. Thanks!!

1 Like

I have been watching the Karma fermentation. Today I noticed the larger bubbles. The temp is around 65. There has been a bed of bubbles on top of around 1 inch. Concern or not?

Nope. Different yeast vary in their Krauesen and the same yeast can even look different a day later. RDWHAHB.

2 Likes

Thanks voodoo_donut, was not sure. Came home from work and the bed of bubbles or the Krauesen is gone. Must be it happens that quick.

When the sugar is converted, the yeast slow down…
Sneezles61

When I consume enough of the converted sugar, I slow down too :grin:

4 Likes

Kegged the beer today. The FG was 1.010. Bought a new thermometer last week. Calibrated all the thermometers. Used the batteried one to check my ice water to make sure that one worked. Put hot water from the sink. Used the wrench for adjustments to that temp, time consuming. Made sure the dipple was underwater.