Good choice for a lawnmower beer?

Looking to make my 3rd brew. First 2 were cream ale, one extract and the other BIAB. Did the two same beers for comparison test.
Not being familiar with all the beer types, lawnmower appeals to me in it’s description. The sample taste of the cream ales is good, although not finished and ready to drink.
What are good example of lawnmower beers?
Thanks

Any session beer kit. Actually can make your cream ale sessionable. A Kolsh is fun to brew

1 Like

Any brew with about 4.5% and less…
So get creative and set out how to brew one?
Once you’ve dialed in the malt… then the hops… then the yeast… Save a bottle or 2 from each, label them accordingly… then have a tasting session… Notes in hand from each… Its actually a very fun X-beerment!
Sneezles61

Thanks for the Kolsch recommendation. I looked it up and sounds like something I’m looking for.
What I can’t pin down is whether I can ferment at room temp, or have to do something with lower temps like a lager.
Can room temp get the job done with a Kolsch yeast?

If you don’t have temperature control then look for one of the Kviek yeasts which are relatively clean even up into the 90s. This style is about crush-ability. So you are replicating something that will be more towards a commercial beer of low abv.

German ale yeast should be in your wheel house. Stick it in a closet with a blanket over it

I have a basement (fermenting room) temp range of 55* to 80*.
What would be the temp room setting for Kolsch yeast?
Start warm and after a day(s) drop down lower?
Instructions I have dug up are vague.

This is where you develope your own process or style that is probably why its vague. I tend to start at the upper end for a day or so then drop it into the lower rangy then let it drift back up. Some people start it in the lower or mid range and leave it.

I set the temperature and forget it. Ale yeasts are a little more forgiving and I like yeast characteristics

I thought Kolsch yeast was both Ale and Lager… I’d set it at 60*F and walk away for a week, then check on its progress…
Sneezles61

One style I LOVE to make/drink in the spring when the weather breaks is a Belgian Wit. Great style for when the weather changes for the better. See @dannyboy58 the Belgians from Belgium would be happy with me. Especially since I serve mine without the orange! :wink:

1 Like

Technically we are all making Kölsch style beer. Kölsch as a name is geographically protected just like champagne.

@loopie_beer reminds me that Saison style beers were considered lawnmower beers before people had lawnmowers and when only the most affluent would waste energy grooming a lawn.

Köln Germany…
Sneezles61

I found a great utube video on Kolsch beer. I haven’t digested it completely, but hope to come away with a recipe and some instruction. I hope this link works…

Was there back in 2017 and sampled several of the local variety while exploring the city that were quite good. Haven’t been a huge fan of the Kolsch styles I’ve tried around here.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

This is a very good video on many levels. Feel free to ask specific questions about the info in it as some of does and don’t suggested are very good.

We’ve got a few from the local breweries around here that are middle of the road… I haven’t had a true German style… Even the bottles of brew we get around here that were brewed in German are quite tasty… Hence my chasing water makeup…
Sneezles61

You can just get 10g of water in 5g carboys at a big box store and end up with not only the water but 2 bonus fermenters!

My fermenters are Anvil SS buckets…
This guy explains and shows some very nice, basic brewing ideas/equipment… I’ll look at more of his vids…
Thank you for show us Mr. Neck!
Sneezles61

Here is what I have come up with for a 5G recipe;
8.5 # Pilsner Prairie Malt German Cargill Salegitter
10 oz Briess Carapils
5 oz Weyerman German Pale Wheat
1 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz Tellnang 15 min
Safale K-97

Do you see any screw ups here? Is the hops amount correct?
I may start the fermentation around 60* and bring it up towards 68* to 69* later.