Git R back running

Lately, I’ve been tinkering on a 1971 trail 90… Its been in the garage all winter… So I see when I’m in there…
It barely ran when I put it in the shed… 10 years ago?
Started with carb… rebuilt it… battery was toast… rectifier not good… coil bad… Wires broken… Gee Whiz!!
My jobber table is full of parts… I like to grab a brew and look at stuff after supper… plotting and scheming… Wife claims this is turning into a money sucker… I’m really having fun with this… I’ll build a new wiring harness in the days to come…
Any of you peeps tinker with “small project bikes”?
Sneezles61

No but sounds like fun for you! Good luck

I have a Yamaha 360 to follow up… Don’t need them show room fancy pants… just all function so I can go down the road, legal and not leave a trail of oil and parts behind…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I had a trail 70 when I was a kid. So much fun and a wheelie machine if ever there was one. a buddy of mine is working on one right now and said something about a 190cc motor for it…that would be interesting!

Then there’s this 70 I saw on insta the other day! There’s some inspiration for you! haha

1 Like

YIKES!!! ^^^^^^
I should have parts trickling in for the next few days…
I’ve been following ct90restoration blog… That gentleman is well vested in these… He’s got a cut away of a motor and how it works… spun by his cordless drill… worth a look!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Damn… good brew and pondering stuff…
Now I find the wires leading back to the tail lights are… well… discombobulated… That rear tire only travels about 3"… abuse right there…
More fixings…
Sneezles61

Rusty parts… Have you seen how they do electrolysis to remove rust?
Now I should move my findings to Water the thread… It really dawned on me… In our water report, it tells about conductivity, or reports it… Not from high electrical power… A small amount…
So to remove rust using 12 volts- 2 amps setting, and adding baking soda to the water… it becomes conductive… Reducing the baking soda (Carbonate) the weaker the conductivity… I believe that is what a TDS meter is telling us…
Well, it sure seem to light my light bulb…
Sneezles61

Speaking of water and electricity, I recently started a new job in a machine shop that has an EDM machine. It’s quite fascinating that you can cut incredibly hard steel with a .010 diameter wire while it’s submerged in water and also using electricity. I’m trying to figure out how to program this machine without having it cut straight through the fixtures that hold the parts.

3 Likes

That is the high E guitar string on my electric! Which breaks frequently bending strings…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Starting the re-assembly… Fished the wires for the tail light back in… fought with the rear tire assembly… dag nabbit, the chain tensioner thingy’s are stripped out… :disappointed: I’ll need to wait while parts show…
Its alright, I’ll do thing more right than wrong… enjoy a brew and look at stuff that’ll be next…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Got any pictures of this beast?

I’ll get a few and post… Its actually a small bike… More about remembering to way back… Simple project.
Sneezles61

A friend of ours… always clowning about…
Sneezles61

3 Likes

I do like the color coordinated boots and “wireless” phone. I stomped around in mud and snow for a lot of years wearing yellow boots.

When I was a kid a friend had a CT70. We had a lot of fun with it. If I remember correctly it had some kind of automatic clutch. He had to loosen the left brake cable because everyone kept trying to pull the clutch lever.

1 Like

This is an automatic also… and hi/lo range too…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Had to abandon the Trail 90 fer a bit… Water heater acting up… :anguished:
I pulled it out disassembled the thing… The anode rod was shockingly disgusting… I read in hard water it needs replacing every 3-5 years… That uses a 1-1/16" socket and a 3’ cheater…
The top element was replaced a few years ago… came right out… the lower element… NOT!! That cheese-y sheetmetal socket ended up out in the woods… A new 1-1/2" deep well socket… 6 point… it finally came out… Along with some very choice words… I was replaced also… but got one of those folded elements… (aren’t we electric brewers familiar with that?)
Laid the whole thing up on the picnic table… I’ll bet I got at least 2 gallons of Alkalinity (:grin:) out of that tank… Its just back together a bit ago… turn the power back on (electric heater)… I didn’t have the 4th of July… good news!!
I’ll take the temp after while… Yesterday it was 145*F coming out of the spigot… not good!
Sneezles61

What kind of boiler do you have. I switched to an indirect. I gave up on electric. They dont last and expensive to run.

We’ve a propane boiler… thats the only gizmo that uses that and the faux fire place… Everything else is electric in our house… 70 dollars a month is all it costs… Well, when I get really busy in the garage wood working… we may creep up to 90. dollars…
Sneezles61

I know when i changed over my electric went down quit a bit. Although with my 2 extra brewing refrigerators it went back up

When I was still working the building maintenance guys (and girls) used to connect the cold water in with a T at the drain and cap off the top of the water heaters. They said the water coming in stirred up the sediment so the tanks lasted much longer. The water was mostly for the bathroom sinks but it made me think twice about having coffee in those buildings.