Ginger Ale

Anyone make a ginger ale. My stomach has been acting up and I’ve been drinking ginger ale. My daughter in law gave me a bottle of natural ginger ale that was delicious. Figured I’d give it a try. Any recipes out there ? I found one over at Home Brew Talk that sounds good just checking what you people had.

1 Like

I’ve done two.
1st one was very early on. It was an extract American wheat that I added about 8oz. of grated ginger root late boil. Not much of a beer, but it sure was a good stomach tonic.
2nd one I did was 2 years ago, and it was a kit from a competitor to our host. Didn’t turn out that well either. A few friends liked it, but it was meh.
I think I’ll stick to buying an occasional 4 pack of the real stuff from Jamaica.

I’ve been making the ginger ale that even my son can drink (3 yr old). Use fresh ginger cut up into tiny pieces steeped in hot water and sugar for 1 hr then strained and added to 2 L bottle with a little salt and lemon juice. Then I add a little bakers yeast and within a day the bottle is ready for the fridge. No exact measurements of sugar. I use 11 spoon fulls (less than a TBSP…more than a TSP) in the pot, about 2 inches of root, couple TBSP of lemon juice, and about a TSP of salt.

The ginger ale tastes sweet before fermenting and much better the next day. I must warn you though that the ginger can be overwhelming for some.

I wondered what the difference between ginger ale and ginger beer is. Got this from Huff Post

“The big difference between ginger beer and ginger ale is that ginger beer is brewed (fermented) but ginger ale is just carbonated water that’s been flavored with ginger. Today’s brewed ginger beers are categorized as non-alcoholic drinks because their alcohol content is less than 0.5 percent, which meets FDA requirements.”

So is what you make at home brewed if you just “condition” it to carbonate?

BTW I like Gosling’s in a Moscow mule.

Just picked up supplies to try to start a ginger bug. Kind of like a scoby for traditional ginger beer. We shall see!

For 1 gallon I used a little less than a cup of ground ginger root, zest and juice of 2 good size lemons and 1 cup of sugar. Tastes pretty good. Carbonating now. For a ginger beer I was thinking to substitute the sugar for some wort and ferment

“The ginger people” ginger beer makes an absolutely delicious dark ‘n stormy with plantation over-proof rum. Yum!

If you use a ginger bug doesn’t it become alcohol

I don’t think any more so than kombucha.

how did it turn out?

Oh it turned out fantastic everyone loved it. Bottled some off the keg. Going to make a 3 gallon batch as soon as a keg frees up. I’m thinking cut back the sugar a little bit or not. Some tasters have asked about honey. I’ll have to try a small batch with that

Ok stomach issues again and I found a bottle of this stashed away did the trick so I searched the posts for my recipe because I didn’t write it down. Gonna make a batch figured I’d bump the thread up

1 Like

Tying into this topic, where do you get your ginger root from? It’s one of the ingredients in the Great Lakes Christmas Ale clone that’s up next in my schedule for next weekend.

:beers:
Rad

I think you can buy ginger right in a grocery store. Not sure about Maryanne. :grimacing: Seriously that is one of the spices you want to be very careful with. Easy to overdo it.

2 Likes

Yes it is sold in the grocery. I wouldn’t use as much ginger if your beer

Recipe calls for 0.05 oz, now I know why. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rad

.05 oz ?

Rad was going on the ton value… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Sneezles61

When buying ginger the roots shoot feel swelled with water compared to the more fibrous old ginger. Making a tincture and adding it at bottling/ kegging might be the safest way to insure it’s not too weak or strong

Rad