Gigawort

I just ordered a new gigawort to do small batch biab batches. I live in New England and normally stop brewing in December to March because of weather as I brew in my garage. I figured I would brew in my kitchen in the winter. Any reviews? Also has anyone found a biab basket the fits in this unit? Thanks

We’ll that’s the benefit of electric brewing. You can do it inside as long as you set it up that way. That’s my favorite part. I can wake up with my strike water ready and it didn’t matter if it’s 100° or 5° I can brew without worry.
With that… can’t speak of the basket

1 Like

Do you know the inside dimensions of the gigawort?

When I started brew in a bag, I considered purchasing a custom insert from the following company Stainless Brewing Filters For Beer, Wine, Coffee, Tea and More! - Hop Spider, Hops Holder, Hop Strainer Cup, Keg Filter, Kettle Screens, Stainless Steel Mesh, Custom - Utah Biodiesel Supply. But I just stuck to using the bag and the insert from a turkey frier to drain then rinse. ID is 10.75 of gigawort per northern brewer site but I would measure it myself to be sure. If you do go with an insert, make sure it does not touch the bottom as this may trigger an overheat shutdown. I do not know this for a fact but people do complain about overheat shutdowns particularly if you use LME and it sits on bottom. The ones at utah site hang on edge of pot so will not touch bottom.

1 Like

Thanks for the info

We used to do 3-gal BIAB indoors, using a modified cooler method.

We have a large orange round cooler, where I replaced the “thumb destroyer” valve with a Ball valve. Mash in there, then transfer into a 20-qt stockpot for the actual brew on our electric kitchen range. With about 4 gallon pre-boil, the start of the boil got a little nerve-racking, but we were always VERY vigilant, and did not have a problem.

2 Likes

I do BIAB 5 gallons indoors , everytime, because I have no outdoors.

2 Likes

I do BIAB 5 gallons indoors, because I can. Every time.

2 Likes

I do 10.5gal batches in doors, because I paid a ton of money to do so! :joy:

3 Likes

Me brew indoors. In my brew area. My final plan to buy a new system. A clawhammer. Biab system. Gonna order. End of this month. So i ship everything in one order. Grains hops. To the island

I used to brew 10 gallons and it was to much beer. Now I have a 240 volt 5 gallon system I built and love it but my 240 volt plug is in my garage. I got the gigawort to do the small batches in my kitchen when the weather is to cold to brew outside. I figure with smaller batches I can brew more often!

I do my mash indoors in my brewery using electric then roll my kettle to the garage door to boil. So i guess I got the best of both worlds.

I brew indoors… 5 or 10… on a brew rig I put together… I walk the spent grist out the door and spread out the backyard for the wild critters to enjoy… And I enjoy my brewery very much…
Sneezles61