Getting some free kegging equipment

Long story short I’m getting a 5# aluminum C02 tank (with a couple years left until it needs to be hydro tested) a regulator along with a sanke keg connector that was used for commercial kegs, and some blc from a friend for free. I’m going to hit up my LHBS today and pick up a corny and some other pieces and parts. Are threaded ball locks the way to go vs barbed? If so then I would also need 1/4 swivel barbs and the hex nuts which are sold separate. I’m guessing it might be a matter of preference.

I prefer the swivel nut/threaded connections. It’s easier to remove the disconnects, and you can switch between ball lock, pin lock, and commercial couplers quickly.

2 Likes

Exactly Loopie! So with that in mind, do buy yerself those connections, just in case. I prefer pins to ball lock, but I have friends that are ball lock fans so when they bring a keg over, I switch, fast and easy. Sneezles61

Ok that’s enough of a perk to buy the threaded. I notice they have 1/4" and 5/16" swivel barbs. I haven’t looking into kegging for some time are both the liquid lines and gas lines different sizes? I know I’ve read about this stuff but I can remember off the top of my head.

Gas line is 5/16" and liquid is 3/16". How do plan on serving? Get 10’ of beer tubing to start to balance your system although I just use the 10’ length.

To start just with a picnic tap. I’m wondering if I should just get the pre made gas and liquid lines from NB:
Foam Free Beer Line
Gas Line

Before you buy the gas line you may want to look at the regulator as it may have a barb rather than threads to connect the gas line.

I’ve never had success using only 5’ of line, even at 11-12 psi. YMMV.

I just looked at the picture he sent me. It does have a barb fitting on the regulator after the shut off valve.

I ended up just buying the keg, a set of replacement of rings, and some keg lube for $62 and some change. I got to hand pick my keg which was nice.

Brought it back home. Still pressurized as they stated. Cleaned the outside up. A couple dents but nothing excessive. One thing I didn’t like was that the inlet tube is plastic. I think I can buy a new stainless one. Overall the inside was clean but I’m going to soak it in pbw and clean the lid and parts as well.

Do you have a wrench to take off the posts? It could be worth taking that apart, since you’re replacing the rings anyway.

Yup I do. I ended up buying a cheap deep socket to keep with my homebrew supplies as most of my tools are in my tool box at work. The dip tube o rings are way past there prime I would say.

1 Like

This is a Firestone Challenger ‘VI’ keg

I’ll just add, you will have a load of fun kegging as opposed bottling, AND bottling from the keg is quite a bit easier. Sneezles61

1 Like

And, pretty soon you’ll have 20 of them like me. Makes it nice to have back ups for when you just don’t feel like cleaning them.

1 Like