General vs Uncategorized?

So what makes a topic fall under Uncategorized? Seems like General gets a lot more attention being the top of the topic list and topics moved to Uncategorized fall all the way to the bottom. I know there is quick links to new, unread, latest and top but most of the time I’m on here I scroll through the quick category view stopping after 5 or 6 headings. Most of the topics in Uncategorized are not off topic. Maybe a shuffle of the Category headings would make more sense? I’ve posted a few times in General and found the topic was moved to Uncategorized who makes the decision to change where they end up?

I’m a “Latest” guy (my bookmarks all go there). When I start a topic, I sometimes forget that there are categories… does it let you submit a new topic without selecting a category? That would be annoying.

When you create a new post, it defaults to the “Uncategorized” category. (i realize that is somewhat confusing, but i have not power to change that.) It will post it, but it will be under a nebulous category. It will still sort by newest post though.

Just to add that if you don’t select a category for your topic, it will never show up when the search function is used.
It would really be best if a category was selected and a key searchable word or descriptive phrase was used in the topic title.