Gelatin

Saw a couple of really old threads and didn’t want to bump everyone from back then.

Just starting with kegs, and was wondering if it’s better to rack a completed batch to secondary, chill, add gelatin, wait a couple of days, then keg, or just rack it to the keg and add gelatin directly to the keg.

If your set on using gelatin I’d add it before kegging. What makes you think that you need to add gelatin

Just looking for a way to clear the beer up. Is there a better method?

I add Irish moss at 15 minutes and strain my wort. Don’t rush my fermentation and cold crash at 32° then carefully rack to the keg. Give the keg a couple weeks none of that shaking nonsense. Crystal clear

1 Like

Gotcha. Cold crash in the fermenter, and rack to the keg already cold. I have some irish moss, so I will try that with the next batch.

1 Like

I agree with @brew_cat. But if you want to try gelatin add it to your keg during kegging AFTER you cold crashed it in the fermenter.

1 Like

Gelatin…bleccccchhhh…Good process renders clear beer. No need for. that stuff. Whirlfloc or. Irish moss late in the boil. Controlled temp fermentation, cold crash and time.

2 Likes

I’m sure gelatin has its place just don’t put it on the label wouldn’t meet reinsgobot

My process is 1/2 tab whirlfloc 5 mins before end of boil, primary 3-4 weeks depending on where I am on rotation in kegerator, add dry hops to keg and dry hop at room temp, pop in kegerator to carb for 5-7 days. I typically dump the first pour especially with dry hopped beers, but then it clears up nicely.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Hey it’s fine to use gelatin as a last resort it’s just one of those hot button topics here. Do you do a secondary or use glass?

Neither typically. Buckets for fermentation. Part of it may be that I don’t let it ferment for too long. Pretty much a 2 week ferment cycle. I need to get a few set up, so that there is something to drink while the others ferment longer. I’m sure that would help. Along with straining when I rack to the keg.

I use whirlfloc tablets near the end of the boil, and then I put a sanitized BiaB bag in my bucket before I transfer to the fermenter. That way I can just pick up the bag which acts as a decent filter, and it’s all pretty clear. If needed, I can use another bag a few weeks later if I transfer to a secondary, but that’s a tough time with oxidation. I always cold crash for a day in my keezer, while still in the fermenter. Then transfer to a purged keg and carbonate

1 Like

Pouring finished beer through a bag to strain sounds like a good way to oxidize it to me. Hasn’t been an issue?

1 Like

I’ve only done it a few times. I had already purged the fermenter with CO2, but I know it was still a risk. I probably wouldn’t repeat it… But I have never had an issue with oxidation except when my conical had a leak. Other than that, it’s been ok for the few times I did it.