Gelatin is not working

I have made 5 gallons of cider using Mott’s apple juice with one pound of light brown sugar and I have added 5 cinnamon sticks that I soaked in vodka. I used US 05 to ferment and currently the Gravity is way under 0… I tasted it and it’s great. I wanted to clear it because it is hazy. I used a tablespoon of gelatin in a cup of water that was heated to 150, and nothing… It has been 72 hours and I am seeing no clearing at all … do I try it again? It’s possible I messed up the temperature on the gelatin, but saw an experiment where that didn’t really matter. I have also seen that bentonite might clear it. I’m leaning towards just waiting 2 days and then bottle and back sweeten. This is my first batch and was hoping for thoughts or help on what I may have done wrong.

What temperature is your cider sitting at? Gelatin only works at cold temperatures.

1 Like

70°f… I don’t have a fridge to throw it in… I could throw it outside… But it is 20°f out there…

Should I redo the gelatin, or will it work if I chill it with the old gelatin

I do cider the same way and mine always clears… If your in a carboy… Do agitate it… gently… Then make room in the fridge. 20 is cold… maybe if you had to put outside, do it during the day and put a heavy towel/blanket keep the yeast from bumming out in the day light and help slow down the cold crashing part too.
Kegging ? Mine I do like it dry, champagne style… My wife likes it medium, so I’ll stop/cold crash a 5-er just as it reaches 1.003… It will drop a point or 2 whilst serving… Sneezles61

I’m at around .995 it’s dry… I will back sweeten to around 1.010. It’s supposed to be 40-55 for the next 2 days. I’ll wrap it in a blanket and I have a box the carboy came in to shield light. I am going to bottle. I will give it 24 hours and then check on it. Thanks for the help

1 Like

Bottle a few without sweetening… Then in a month or 2, mix a pint with 50/50 cider and raspberry ale… Very nice mix! Sneezles61

1 Like