Garden Plans

Its fun to see what the “seasoned” growers do… then to pick their brains why… You then have a good clue…
Sneezles61

Hey, almost time to look for Morels up here… You find any where you are?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Oh dear… My wife got up some extra energy… well… she planted the warm weather crops… I keep telling her to wait until Memorial W/E… Had to cover them the last 2 nights… and will tonight as well… 28 this AM… poor humming birds…
Sneezles61

Yesterday… 95F… Today… 60F… the wind blowing across the lakes is fog ridden… Its really good sleeping weather… open the windows… Oh… damn early birds tho…
Sneezles61

1 Like

It sounds like yesterday was good banana gardening weather!

At the old house I had six or seven different types of banana growing…my favorite was known as Blue Java or “ice cream” and had bluish fruit. It was as tall as the electric wires! …and then the winters of 2009-10 and 2010-11 came…down to 25* F and it actually snowed here…not good.

Maybe ready to try ‘banana ranching’ again :joy::banana:

1 Like

Now I’ve got a picture in my mind… Voodoo, sipping a home-brewed blue banana Saison… In the shade of the banana trees! :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Well, the garden isn’t producing as it did for many years… Its been hot and dry around here… I’ll think thats the culprit…
Peas… not many, but what does get harvested barely gits in the house… still tasty garden candy…
Green beans are starting to produce… Pick them about half the size of a pencil… more tasty morsel’s!
One cucumber so far…
Onions are about the size of a golfball… whimpy, eh?
Soon time to cut the tops of the tomatoes… put the energy into the fruit it has… won’t be time enough for the new ones to make it…
Summer squash… :disappointed:
Buttercup squash… :no_mouth:
Peppers might be the only plant that is doing good…
Well, grapes look good too… But I still have some from last year… Did I mention they have a very strong flavor?
Apples didn’t do so well… Then Mama deer and her 2 fawns aint helping out much… I swear they sleep under the trees…
About a quart of blueberries… tasty tho…
How is yer garden (the ones that did plant) do?
Sneezles61

Lots of berries this year blueberry, currants and gooseberries were abundant. Looks like quite a few boysenberry. Pears are loaded. Apples are a little sparse. Peaches and plums more than last year anyway. The veggies got in late because of my spring road trip. The vinyard is growing nicely no grapes this year. Deer and rabbits are being a nuisance

New grapes takes a bit to acclimate…
I’ve more ideas about a plant holding gizmo… I’m watching prices… I’d like to build one this fall for next years planting’s… The few 24" tall ones I remodeled are soooo great…
Sneezles61

Wish i could grow. Strawberies. Its the hot climate and iguanas. What are giving me a hard time. But got. Banana guava trees going real good.

1 Like

I would plant a Curry Tree if I lived in your climate. Can you grow Pomegranate on your island?

2 Likes

Interesting…
I can’t grow strawberries because of the chipmunks and slugs…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Pomegranate grows wild around the island. One thing my wife is trying. Grapes. She got. 5 baby grape. Plant. Or how you call this. They are about. 20 inches. Now. As well. Mango. And papaya. One thing that grows. Real fast. The magical. Herb

3 Likes

:joy:

:sunglasses: No big brother meddling?
Sneezles61

As of July 1st its legal in CT to grow, posses and give it away. No stores for a few years to keep MA happy

Last March 31 New York made recreational pot legal. So far you can have it but not buy it or sell it and the rules on growing it are hazy. Not legal to transport over state line by federal law so I guess your stash has to magically appear.

The state can’t agree about what to do about dispensaries either. So a Mohawk tribe that can make a decision is already stepping up to not only sell but produce pot. Municipalities can opt out of retail sales and a few around here already have. The people can force a referendum and have a vote to over rule the local government. Seems kind of stupid to give up all the tax money and have your voters simply go to the next town to buy pot.

So back on topic. I bet I can figure out what a lot of peoples garden plans will be.

1 Like

VA legalized recreational July 1. You can grow 4 plants per adult in a household. Dispensaries will open in 2024 IIRC.

our politicians are frosty to it as of yet… They have said its no big deal possess it tho…
The Medical side of this wasn’t allow to smoke the flower… Next year, they can start…
So it doesn’t appear to be a “garden” friendly species …yet…
Sneezles61

MA has rec stores so people from NY CT and VT can and have been going there so that was a big reason they just legalized it. Staying on topic it was the reason i built my greenhouse

Well i also dry my hops in there

2 Likes