Garden Plans

You should start some morels. I gave some spores to my brother and 5 years after planting he got 2 bushels.

1 Like

I am hopeful my sister will tell me when the morelā€™s are flushing so I could get a gallon bucket or soā€¦ Then disperse half of them near our pondā€¦ under the oaksā€¦
Actually, we do have a hen of the woods that shows up every yearā€¦ Many other that Iā€™m not sure ofā€¦ so just to look at them is fun too!!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Garden mag.'s are here!!
To start with, make some sort of gizmo for growing strawberries on the deckā€¦ 4" PVCā€¦ laid almost flatā€¦ Find a way to make cups for the plants to grown inā€¦ Some sort of drip irrigation with a very small pumpā€¦
See, I canā€™t grow them in the garden as too many verminā€¦ On the deck, I can keep a closer watchā€¦ Maybe even put some sort of nettingā€¦ I shouldnā€™t have to worry about slugs eitherā€¦
Sneezles61

Seed shortages expected this year.

Last year, we couldnā€™t find any Rosemary plantsā€¦ found some seedā€¦ they didnā€™t germinateā€¦ So while shopping a few weeks ago, we saw ONEā€¦ its ours!
We do try to find plants that arenā€™t GMO so the seed remain true to their heritageā€¦ except them tomatoesā€¦ They will cross pollinate in a heartbeatā€¦ flirty buggersā€¦
Best dream big right now and get seeds regardlessā€¦ Store the unused ones in the freezer til the following yearā€¦
Sneezles61

Interestingā€¦ Vermont Bean companyā€¦ headquarters in Randolph Wiā€¦?
I bought a big bag of green arrow pea seeds last yearā€¦ we should be good for this yearā€¦ Which I forgot to save some for plantingā€¦ they are sooo good right from the gardenā€¦
The green beans are up in the airā€¦ They just didnā€™t produce muchā€¦ I donā€™t think we have any in the freezerā€¦
Cukesā€¦ Wife has some seeds from last yearā€¦ Those are the GMO style she likesā€¦ so I stay out of that equationā€¦
Buttercup squashā€¦ I have seeds savedā€¦
Carrots and Radishes are easily boughtā€¦ I hopeā€¦
Wife likes to get onions from Dixondale farmsā€¦
And when out looking in gardening places, we keep an eye open for salad greens, so we are stocked upā€¦
In fact, time to start a ā€œlettuce bowlā€ growingā€¦
Sneezles61

Triop eggs have been documented to live 70 years in storage after losing 99% of their moisture.

@sneezles61how do you know your seeds are GMO and not a selectively bred modified organism?

1 Like

I canā€™t get too advanced on yer thinkingā€™ā€¦
So Iā€™ll put it like thisā€¦
Seems GMO seeds weā€™ve saved grows fruitless plantsā€¦ Sterileā€¦
On the other handā€¦ seeds weā€™ve saved from the ā€œmore naturally pollinatedā€ crops grow fruitā€¦
I know the razzing Iā€™ll get about fruitsā€¦ BUT. Iā€™m sticking with my storyā€¦ :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

there are definitely GMO seeds that were produced with just that trait. Some wonā€™t even germinate.

I can understand your suspicion. Most of the food we eat has been selectively bred as opposed to being lab tinkered. For example there is no such thing as a wild orange. The orange, the most popular fruit tree on the planet, was hybridized 2000 years ago between a pomelo and a mandarin. We have been tinkering with it ever since. The same is true with every fruit/vegetable.
If you are talking about fruit trees it gets even wilder because most modern fruit tress donā€™t prosper until they are grafted on wild root stock. You can see the graft at the base of every fruit tree at your garden center.
Fruit trees are often gendered so unless you have a female and a male you arenā€™t going to get fruit regardless.

3 Likes

This article claims that there are no GMOs in existence for backyard crops and that Non-GMO labels on seed packs and garden seedlings are nothing but a marketing gimmick since all the plants/seeds for gardeners are non-gmo.

https://www.farmprogress.com/node/193429

"Never mind that all vegetable seeds have and continue to be non-GMO crops. GMO vegetable seeds do not exist and are not available to backyard gardeners.

There are only eight crops commercially available as GMOs: corn, soybeans, papaya, cotton, squash, canola, alfalfa and sugarbeets. GMO squash isnā€™t available for the backyard gardener ā€” only on a commercial scale.

A pepper plant or seed packet marked non-GMO is labeled as such because you canā€™t grow or buy it any other way."

1 Like

I understand the process of selective choice of propagationā€¦ Isnā€™t that what us humans have been doing? Until beer came alongā€¦ :grin:
I would have to suspect that GMO business isnā€™t profitable for the little gardening societies of the worldā€¦
Sneezles61

1 Like

Plus gardeners are fickle and changing their crops every year.

1 Like

We rotate all that we plantā€¦ Except the flowers that are repeat offendersā€¦ :sunglasses:.
Sneezles61

It is amazing how fast tomatoes revert to their cherry size.
Being a city dweller I really miss having a vegetable garden. I could join a local community garden. The one nearest to me has a lot of hops growing in it.

We save Amish paste tomatoes seedsā€¦ They havenā€™t seem to change yetā€¦ but we found the common slicers are good from the packetā€¦ a couple years of saving the tomatoes and you wonā€™t recognize themā€¦ I canā€™t say for sure they go to cherriesā€¦ but they do changeā€¦ Selective pollination?
Sneezles61

That explains why the plants that come out of the compost pile are always cherry tomatoes

3 Likes

I think that anyone growing cherry tomatoes anywhere in your area is going to pollinate your tomatoes and the default size for feral tomatoes seems to be cherry. So eventually your strain will be pollinated back to original form as those are the dominant genes.

1 Like

Donā€™t grow these ā€œcherry tomatoesā€(from another recent thread) though, unless youā€™re hankerā€™in for a dirt nap :joy:

I never knew that!

Thereā€™s a yellow cherry tomato my wife loves that i planted about 10 years ago. It keeps reseeding all over the garden every year. Last year we had a couple other red cherries pop up out of no where. They were really good but I had no idea where they came from.