From NB Blog : Keeping It Sanitized

Keeping It Sanitized

There's nothing worse than ruined beer. Don't let tiny microbes infect your brew and spoil your batch. Sanitizing your brewing equipment protects from mold, bacteria, and wild yeast that could be in the air, on dust, and covering every surface.

Sounds scary, but have no fear - our resident germophobe, James Jefferson, will walk you through the process

Read More Here >>

One thing not mentioned, or , maybe overlooked is to scrub in. Just like a Dr. would do before their tasks. I will always wash my hands with one step and many times while I brew… Can’t be too careful now, can we? Sneezles61

We have come a long way since Clorox and water.

One thing to add is PBW. A great solution to the stuff that is really tough to remove. Those of us that still use glass carboys will see them becoming cloudy looking and know it’s time for a PBW soak.

Preventing mold by storing brewing equipment clean and dry will enhance the effectiveness of sanitation procedures.

1 Like

On the sanitizer bottle it says to rinse after coating so do you do this step or not and just leave the sanitizer solution on the equipment

Star San solution is not to be rinsed from the brewing equipment. The remaining foam is harmless to the yeast and will not affect the taste of the beer. Star San solution is working as a sanitizer as long as the surface remains wet with the solution.

I will use my spray bottle of Star San solution to remove some foam if it very thick. Don’t need to, I just do it that way.

This brought me to look a bit closer to my kegs today. I saw stuff that made me very nervous, AND needing to rack the last cream ale experiment into a keg, time to clean. I tore it all apart, even ran wads of paper towel down the liquid tube with a long smooth dowel! I now feel much better that I can sanitize the keg and ready to receive some brew. Uberculture made this point in another post… Sneezles61