Fridge Conversion

I have an old Fridigaire that I muscled into our basement with my accident-prone brother in law (I am lucky I got out with my life).

I was planning on converting it to a serving fridge and had a few questions:

-is there a recommended process for drilling through a fridge door? I was planning on installing 3 shanks/faucets into the front of the fridge, and will also need a penetration for the CO2 line (I am planning on keeping a 20# tank on the outside)
-Would I be ok painting the fridge with a rustoleum type of outdoor paint (just to make the fridge look a little more presentable? I may be able to vent the basement while it dries.

I can fit 2 corny kegs on the floor of the fridge, and the back of the inside is slanted for the condenser, so I can theoretically fit 4 total kegs by bungee’ing the 3rd and 4th on the slanted surface.

The door doesn’t contain coolant lines so you should be good to go, just drill the holes.
No reason you can’t paint it.

Roger that, thanks. Greg Muller on here used an upright fridge and a hole saw for the faucet penetrations. May be a memorial day project for this guy…

Lots of pics of two of the several kegerators I built here
http://www.mullerbrau.com/Kegerator.htm

Is it a horrible idea to put my gas line penetration on the front/door?

I am just nervous as H about drilling into the side, hitting a coolant line, and ending up with a dead box/child trap that will forever live in my basement.

I put mine through the side. Just drilled a small hole, felt around with a coat hanger and then enlarged.

[quote=“Pietro”]I have an old Fridigaire that I muscled into our basement with my accident-prone brother in law (I am lucky I got out with my life).

-is there a recommended process for drilling through a fridge door? I was planning on installing 3 shanks/faucets into the front of the fridge, and will also need a penetration for the CO2 line (I am planning on keeping a 20# tank on the outside)
-Would I be ok painting the fridge with a rustoleum type of outdoor paint (just to make the fridge look a little more presentable? I may be able to vent the basement while it dries.

I can fit 2 corny kegs on the floor of the fridge, and the back of the inside is slanted for the condenser, so I can theoretically fit 4 total kegs by bungee’ing the 3rd and 4th on the slanted surface.[/quote]
Rather than bungee’ing Ithink it might be better to build a smallshelf perhaps covering the slant…be safer at any rate… :cheers: Tank

[quote=“tankie”][quote=“Pietro”]I have an old Fridigaire that I muscled into our basement with my accident-prone brother in law (I am lucky I got out with my life).

I can fit 2 corny kegs on the floor of the fridge, and the back of the inside is slanted for the condenser, so I can theoretically fit 4 total kegs by bungee’ing the 3rd and 4th on the slanted surface.[/quote]
Rather than bungee’ing Ithink it might be better to build a smallshelf perhaps covering the slant…be safer at any rate… :cheers: Tank[/quote]

I agree. I have an old Philco with the compressor hump. I built a shelf out of bar grate and jacking bolts, painted to prevent rust.
It fits four cornies comfortably.

The condenser lines on mine are on the back, so I didn’t have a problem drilling in the door or side.

On my Sanke fridge I did the same as Greg. Drill a small (1/16 -1/8") hole in the outer shell, then poke around.

This helped me a lot: