Forgot to add Pilsen Light Extract to wort, help

Hello!

I’m a new brewer, this is my 3rd batch. I am doing the Gaarden Hoe recipe on NB. My boil was going great, I was super excited to add the hops at 15 minutes that I forgot to add the Pilsner Light Extract as well! I cooled down and then transferred to the carboy… thankfully I realized this mistake before I pitched the yeast… is there a chance I can save this batch? I was thinking of siphoning about 2 gallons out of the carboy and back into the pot, getting it into a boil, and then mixing in the Pilsner Extract for about 15 minutes, then dump it back into the carboy, mix it well while aerating the wort when I’m ready to pitch. Is this batch screwed, or am I thinking along the right lines?

You have the right idea. You won’t need to bring the wort to a boil though. Bring it up to about 180°F then stir in the LME. Hold it above 175°F for about 10 minutes. Pasteurization occurs at 171° in just over a minute. Cool to yeast pitching temperature, aerate in the kettle, and then add to the fermentor. Be sure to cool to yeast pitching temperature of about 60° to 65°F.

You can pitch your yeast while the enhanced wort is cooling.

Remember to sanitize during the pour.

EDIT: Cool to within 5° of the temperature of the wort in the fermentor.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply, I just finished up. I threw the LME mix in at a higher temp than you suggested but I’m not pitching the yeast yet, was thinking of letting the wort sit overnight then pitching the yeast tomorrow, that way I can prepare a starter for it (first time doing liquid yeast)… thoughts?

With good sanitation the wort could be left over night. This does have some risk though. What is the estimated OG of the recipe? Production date of the yeast and yeast strain? There is a slight chance you won’t need a starter.

1 Like

OG is 1048, the yeast is OYL-030 and it was produced 4/28 (I think)… got it about a week ago

Looks like a 1 liter starter will be needed according to

Aerate the starter wort well and pitch the entire starter at high krausen in about 12 to 18 hours.

2 Likes

Thanks! Took a look today and there was a nice thick looking krausen formed on top, smells nice too. Hopefully it goes smoothly from here.

1 Like

I don’t know much about extract brewing but don’t see why you couldn’t make a descent beer using just DME and specialty grains

Pretty sure that was a spam post.

Maybe but I stand by my statement

Flars dispensing beer wisdom…hard to believe it’s been 2 years now since he passed.

Yes to fast 2 years. Do miss his words. Of wisdon.

Yes, she tried it again and is gone.