First wort hopping questions

In order to tell if it does anything you need a control batch, too. Or make the mash hops the only hops in the recipe.

That’s true so this will be my control which I’m brewing tomorrow. I’m doing FWH and mash. Then nothing during the 60 minutes then layer in WP hops. I’ll bottle some of these. Then I’ll brew it again with just FWH and compare. I know it’s not the scientific method but I’ll trust my memory

2 Likes

You could send them over for Denny and Drew to do a number on their podcast… Sneezles61

1 Like

I’d give it listen although they may have done it already

I’m brewing this now and I put the hops in my 190° strike water and let it cool down for minutes while my water cooled to strike temperature. One benefit is it smells good. After I mashed in it smells like regular mash. Although the 2ozs of Citra on the bar is releasing a pleasant aroma. I do my mashing inside and I love it.

1 Like

If some one made an air freshener for the car with the hop aroma… They’d be very wealthy!
Ive got some Madrina hops too… I think I’ll dry hop one keg with that and leave the other as a Saaz hopped… I’ll whirlpool at 170* Sneezles61
I left the heat down until my grain quit dripping, pulled the big basket… then I threw them in the smaller basket at 168*

Well an update. The smell from the wort on its way to a boil was delicious. Now I know that was the aroma boiling off but I’m hoping the flavors Wer set with the strike water steep and the FWHopping.

1 Like

I threw in 4 oz Saaz at 170* went and had a brew… half hour later … resumed chillin’… I may have to brew a brew where the hops are applied at 170* PRE BOIL… And FO at 170*… odd brew, eh? Sneezles61

2 Likes

I did a whirlpool at 170* yesterday when I brewed a Rye Pale Ale, with Mandarina Bavaria hops. I chilled a bit , and managed to overshoot to 154, had to reheat…back to 170 for @30 minutes then proceded to chill as usual. With my primitive setup its a bit more difficult than you “Dylan’s gone electric” folks…We’ll see…

3 Likes

I believe the range is 150 - 170 degrees but it did not hurt to get it closer to the higher end.

1 Like

I did the same thing yesterday. My target whirlpool hop temp was 160F for 20 min. I ended up doing 154F for 30 min.

1 Like

This is a recipe from AHA that I have had good results with.
WeldWerks Brewing Juicy Bits NEIPA - Beer Recipe - American Homebrewers Association

I would like to see a discussion (different thread) on Whirlpool Hops (and at what temps)
vs Dry Hop Additions (and at what FG).
Note the single hop addition for FWH and that is it during the boil
Everything else is Whirlpool and Dry Hop.
For Dry Hopping, the enemy is of course oxidation.
I always apply Co2 to my container after swapping out the hops at Dry Hop.

By the way, I have had good luck on a “Mosaic Promise” Clone as well.
Use the 2 Hearted Ale clone recipe and swap Centennial with Mosaic.
Dry hop with Mosaic and even add a bit of Cascade.
Makes an awesome IPA.

WeldWerks Brewing Juicy Bits NEIPA | American IPA
INGREDIENTS
For 5 US gallons (18.9 L)
MALT
4 lb. (1.81 kg) pale two-row malt
4 lb. (1.81 kg) Pilsner malt
1 lb. (454 g) dextrin malt
12 oz. (340 g) flaked oats
12 oz. (340 g) flaked wheat
12 oz. (340 g) wheat malt
6 oz. (170 g) dextrose
HOPS
0.33 oz. (9 g) Magnum, 14% a.a. @ first wort hop
0.33 oz. (9 g) Citra, 12.5% a.a. @ flameout, start of whirlpool (40 min)
0.33 oz. (9 g) El Dorado, 15.7% a.a. @ flameout, start of whirlpool (40 min)
0.33 oz. (9 g) Mosaic, 13.1% a.a. @ flameout, start of whirlpool (40 min)
0.66 oz. (19 g) Citra, 12.5% a.a. @ 10 min into whirlpool (30 min)
0.66 oz. (19 g) El Dorado, 15.7% a.a. @ 10 min into whirlpool (30 min)
0.66 oz. (19 g) Mosaic, 13.1% a.a. @ 10 min into whirlpool (30 min)
1 oz. (28 g) Citra, 12.5% a.a. @ end of whirlpool (rest 20 min)
1 oz. (28 g) El Dorado, 15.7% a.a. @ end of whirlpool (rest 20 min)
1 oz. (28 g) Mosaic, 13.1% a.a. @ end of whirlpool (rest 20 min)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Citra, 12.5% a.a. dry hop 9 days @ 5°P (1.020)
0.5 oz. (14 g) El Dorado, 15.7% a.a. dry hop 9 days @ 5°P (1.020)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Mosaic, 13.1% a.a. dry hop 9 days @ 5°P (1.020)
1 oz. (28 g) Citra, 12.5% a.a. dry hop 6 days (after terminal gravity)
1 oz. (28 g) El Dorado, 15.7% a.a. dry hop 6 days (after terminal gravity)
1 oz. (28 g) Mosaic, 13.1% a.a. dry hop 6 days (after terminal gravity)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Citra, 12.5% a.a. dry hop 3 days (after terminal gravity)
0.5 oz. (14 g) El Dorado, 15.7% a.a. dry hop 3 days (after terminal gravity)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Mosaic, 13.1% a.a. dry hop 3 days (after terminal gravity)
WATER
Epsom salt (MgSO4)
calcium chloride
YEAST
Wyeast 1318 London ale III yeast, 2L starter
SPECIFICATIONS
Original Gravity: 1.062 (15.3° P)
Final Gravity: 1.012 (3° P)
IBU: 45
SRM: 4.5
DIRECTIONS
Mash at 149° F (65° C) for 45 minutes (or until conversion is complete), vorlauf for 15 minutes, collect wort, and boil for 90 minutes. If desired, use Epsom salt (MgSO4) and calcium chloride for water adjustments, adding half at mash and half at sparge, targeting about 250 ppm chloride and 80 ppm sulfate. Add 3 hop additions over 40 minutes of whirlpool. Knockout and ferment at 67° F (19° C) with London Ale III yeast. Add the first dry hop addition when the beer has fermented to about 2–3° Plato from final gravity, and then add the last two dry hop additions after terminal gravity has been reached. Use fresh, unopened, sealed bags for dry hopping when possible.

NEIPA hijacked this thread, I’m partially to blame. I did my first first wort yesterday

And I of course encourage AHA membership…

Don’t guess, start with the winning recipes…

Is it just me or are we deep down a really cool rabbit hole? :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m not sure. What was the question again?

Now I remember. The last brew I did mash hop and FWH and nothing during the main boil so I will see how it goes.

1 Like

Okay, reviewed the question and the drag on the reel was screaming. Yes, I’ve seen the benefit to FWH. I use the FWH in lieu of a 60 minute addition and do a full 60 minute boil, using high alpha bittering hops. I’ve played with them to the point I’ve found the right level I need for my beers which actually tends to be less than what I’d consider for a 60 minute addition. The character is much more mellow and delayed for lack of a better term. The hop bite is not the feature so much as a bonus.

1 Like

we do tend to wander do we not?

1 Like

Looks interesting. Post it in a recipe thread like the latest NEIPA one so it will be easier for people to find.

2 Likes