First Timer Brewing

Hi All, I just brewed my first batch about 36 hours ago, it was a gallon batch. How much water boil off should there be is a there general guide, and I have not seen really any bubbles for fermentation should I be worried.
Thanks

Are you fermenting in a plastic bucket? A lot of bucket lids don’t seal very tightly. CO2 produced by a fermentation will escape around the rim of a bucket instead of through the airlock. Not sealing is normal and not a problem.

My boil off rate is about three-quarters gallon per hour. This is different for everyone. Can you give more details?

1 Like

Boil off rate depends on your system, how vigorous the boil, and the weather. Often the average is 1gal per hour. Its not too big of a deal deal because you can add top off water to hit your desired volume. If you use all the extract and hit your desired volume your OG will be as stated per the recipe.

As far as your fermentation:

1. how did you pitch the yeast?
  2. at what temp did you pitch?
  3. how much yeast did you pitch?
  4. what kind of fermenter are you using?

For my gallon batches, with a 45 minute boil, I see between a pint and a quart of boil off.

Thanks for the info seems to be working now, fermenting pretty good. I was actually using a glass fermenter. Guess I was just nervous being first time thought I ruined it.

Thanks for the info, everything seems to be working good now, it seems to be fermenting pretty good now.