First pour of the Irish Red

Test!

3 Likes

Looks goods.

Wife and I tasted it before pic. Needs little more time for co2 and flavor. I wish the colors was not so dark. I am thinking that cold crashing might have changed the color or the grain bill. I did post grain bill in a past post. I put .75-.78 oz of prim in each bottle. The temp of beer before prim was 58’s or. I put another bottle to try today. I was hoping it was going to be a little more hop forward. I used fuggle and willimette and finished with cluster the last 5 min of boil. I am calling it a success for my first non “kit” brew. Now the tweaking. I would like to ask about suggestions with some hops.

1 Like

I doubt cold crashing changed the color in a way that is perceivable other than floating sediment/ protein/ yeast, that would “pastel” your brew fell out of suspension… which it would have done anyway at some point in the bottle

Perhaps cold crashing before the priming bucket took more yeast out of suspension… … Therefore more time at 70* is needed to fully carb yer brew… I’ll go back and look at yer grain bill… It’s dark, yes… But nothing wrong with that… Do taste the rich malt tone in yer brew? Find the the features yer looking fer and expand upon them… Sneezles61

Yes the rich malty flavor. I was helping our son and daughter-in-law out with firewood yesterday and had an oatmeal shout before mine. Today I am going to try another before I have something else. I would like to get a little more hoppiness or bitterness from it. Any suggestions?

Fuggles, WIllamette, Cluster…all dank earthy kind of hops. I never think of cluster as a late finisher. Use it mostly for bittering. Not a big fan of fuggles and have gone to pretty much EKGs exclusively for my ESBs and irish ales. I feel like i get more of the bitterness I’m looking for and less of the earthy dankness I associate with fuggle and willamette. maybe it’s just me.

The perfect “red” ale recipe/color has always proven difficult for me as well.

1 Like

Some are too malty and others just don’t have any character… AKA… Flabby.
I’ve got one I posted last year that uses like 180 crystal malt… I’ve brewed it once split with 2 different yeasts… The actual Irish yeast was good… I don’t recall what the other was… But it didn’t do it justice… Perhaps time to brew it very soon. Sneezles61

1 Like

My latest attempt is just a red ale. No claim to irish heritage, haha. I like it. Very simple grain bill. Out of style IBU for an Irish red. Good easy drinker, nice bitterish balance and decent color, good head and lacing. I fermented it very cool so it’s quite clean compared to my irish red. I thought I’d try some of that copper carapils for coloring on my next red ale.

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 84.8 % 0.55 gal
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 5 12.1 % 0.08 gal
4.0 oz Carafa Special II (415.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.0 % 0.02 gal
1.30 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 7 28.2 IBUs -
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 - -
0.70 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.00 %] - Steep/Whirlp Hop 9 1.6 IBUs -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast

This is the second bottle I opened. This is a tasting glass. I did have a 1/2 glass of a brown ale before this taste. I am happy, but more time.

1 Like

Looks to be coming around… Sneezles61