First BIAB Irish Red using the Nottingham Dry yeast

An estimated FG is simply that… an estimate.

I am getting close to the end of a keg of my last all grain batch of Irish red, meaning it will prob only give me another beer or two at most. Could I just pour this 3 gallon batch into that keg and start carbing or should I give it a cleaning etc. there were no dry hoppings with the Irish red.

There will still be sediment in the the bottom of that keg you don’t want to mix up in the new batch. Finish it off, then rinse and sanitize before you add the next batch. You shouldn’t have to worry about taking apart the posts, etc.

Well, actually, try rack your brew into the keg through the liquid line… Its already full of CO2… Release the pressure valve then start racking… whilst the pressure relief is being pulled to allow more gas to escape as it fills with brew. Maybe that little bit of sediment won’t bother your new brew too much… Sneezles61

I know some who do this but it’s too risky for me. If there was a slow growing infection in the last batch it will transfer to this batch.
I use a Mark’s carboy/keg cleaner and it takes about 15 mins to clean/sanatize a keg. That’s easy and cheap insurance to me.

What I’ll do is if I’m using a keg as a secondary I’ll push into another empty keg under pressure. Usually to the same beer also can blend to half kegs. Not much chance for infection under co2

I put it into the keg on weds. It smelled good and tastes good, it will just be a bit low on ABV, maybe about 3.8% instead of 4.4 or so. Fine with me as long as it tastes ok.

Going to do another run at this biab tomorrow, have a yeast starter ready to go. Using omega west coast ale II this time. I am really interested to see how this batch does in the fermentor.

Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

Sure sounds like a beer you could have for breakfast! I have been having a great time doing a blonde style and trying different yeasts… Sneezles61

Brewed my second batch of this kit yesterday. Pitched omega west coast ale II yeast at 6pm last night and at 6 am this morning I have a nice healthy looking krausen and the airlock is bubbling away.

I have good expectations with this batch.

3 Likes