first AG batch

finally brewed my first AG yesterday. 10 gallons of NB’s British Bitter. everything went pretty smooth. hit all my temps & times. still a lot to learn about water & all the different styles of mash & sparge. the only problem i had was forgetting to put my temp sensor in my conical last night. dropped down to 50F, but that’s no huge deal. thanks to everyone who’s encouraged me to take the leap after 13 years of using extract! just a little longer brew day, but more to enjoy!

Congrats! Your first AG went smoother than mine did.

J

Congrats! IME the water chemistry is the most difficult to wrap my head around, but after 20+ ag batches without treating my water I still had more good beers than bad. I find it to be much more authentic and rewarding than extract. It becomes as complicated as you want it to be, and the knowledge seems endless!

Happy brewin :cheers:

Congrats, I just love the smell of brewing a batch of AG beer…

John

I think the thing that really struck me after my 1st AG was how sweet the wort is.

Paul

[quote=“paultuttle”]I think the thing that really struck me after my 1st AG was how sweet the wort is.[/quote]+1 to both! Tasting sweet wort really illustrates the value of bittering agents.

I just did my second AG on Sunday. My efficiency has been disappointingly low both times, but the grain bills were large enough that I’ll still have 5%+ ABV, and all other aspects went great.

old thread, I resurrect thee! I’m on my 5th AG as of right now. I miss the simplicity of extract, but still very excited about AG. more excited than I miss the extract. my OG’s have been a little higher than expected (I have been hitting my volumes), but I am not complaining! I’m glad I made the leap & learning a lot from reading up on everyone’s advice! thank you all! you’ve been a big help whether you know it or not.