Filtering mead

I am about to embark on my first attempt at mead. This past christmas I received the beer brite system for filtering beer. I have not yet used it because all my beers have been pretty clear. I hear a lot though about how you need to allow mead a lot of time to drop clear. Is there a reason that I should allow time to do its thing, or would using the filter be of benefit to speed the process along?

I’ve always used super kleer KC with meads, and the stuff works great. It can take a long time to clear on its own, but if fermentation is complete, this is a great way to speed things along.

in_the_basement
“I am about to embark on my first attempt at mead. This past christmas I received the beer brite system for filtering beer. I have not yet used it because all my beers have been pretty clear. I hear a lot though about how you need to allow mead a lot of time to drop clear. Is there a reason that I should allow time to do its thing, or would using the filter be of benefit to speed the process along?”

How strong will this mead be? If it’s very high (over 10-12%) it’s probably going to need a lot of time anyway. I’d wait until it’s matured and mellowed and see if it still needs to be filtered or fined.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks for the advice. it is 1.080 OG , and I don’t know what the FG is expected to be. So I cant say how high the ABV will be. But I will not filter I have decided.

If you’re starting at 1.080 I’d bet you’ll be pushing 10%, or higher, so it will need some time to get as good as it can.

1 Like