Filling a keg

This AM I transferred from fermenter to keg. I have been using the liquid post to rack the brew into it… Hoping to help avoid O2 mixing in to the brew… A big brain fart occurred, why not put the CO2 in through the liquid post also… Well thats just what I did… I will test the brew tomorrow to see how it did… Anyone else out there do this? Yes, I shook it the whole time I was adding 20 psi… Sneezles61

My process is to fill the keg with Star San, force the Star San out with CO2, put a hose on a gas disconnect and hold the end of the hose directly in front of my face; turn the keg up-side-down and put the disconnect on the gas-in post to blow out the ounce or two of remaining Star San and to release the pressure. This leaves me with a keg full of CO2 at ambient pressure and a nice, clean pair of glasses.

Connect a hose from the spigot on the bottom of my primary to a liquid disconnect on the liquid-in post of the keg and open the spigot. Keep the gas disconnect on the gas-in post so the beer will flow.

If you have a lot of hop debris or other crud above the level of the primary spigot, you may need to remove the center poppets of the liquid post and the disconnect.

Once you have transferred the beer, you can blow CO2 in through the liquid-out post to get a head start on carbonating and to seal the lid.

3 Likes

So does this, pushing CO2 through the liquid post, help carbonate the brew faster? I’m just thinking that if you push it through the beer, it will absorb some of it faster than putting it on top the beer… Maybe? Sneezles61

1 Like

sneezles61,
I think you figured it out perfectly: “maybe”.

1 Like

When I first looked into kegging I remember reading that pumping the gas into the liquid line carbs faster. I’ve also seen lids that add an extra gas connector attached to a tube with an aeration stone.

I’m sure it improves carbination time; I’m just not sure by how much. I just set-and-forget.

1 Like

I used to always do that. Use a liquid QD and force carb through the dip tube. Worked well to quickly force with high pressure and bouncing/rocking the keg. Now I use the normal gas QD set it and forget it.

I have four kegs carbing up now. Two on 12lbs force and two primed. Would love to have one on draft now but the slow method has been working better.

I think quick carbing is more beneficial for commercial brewing as they need to get the beer out the door and open brites or unitanks. Of course, then it sits for a few weeks/months to allow the CO2 to hydrate.

Commercial breweries also have the equipment to fast carb so it comes out perfect. Try it at home was always kind of hit or miss for me.