Fermenting in a 5gal Cornelius Keg?

Hello I brew 3.5gal batch’s an I am looking into to fermenting in one of my 5gal Cornelius Keg. So my question has anyone ever fermented in a Cornelius Keg before an if so did any of you brewer ‘s had any problems with fermenting in a Cornelius Keg??

There have been threads about that on here before. If you search you can find some info I’m sure.

For one thing you’ll want to transfer the wort afterwards to get it off the trub. No other real issues with it I can think of. Been considering it myself of late because the kegs are easy to temp control.

1 Like

I’ve done it. Just hook up your gas line with a hose going into a bucket of starsan. Make sure you have head space and control your temperature so you don’t get a blowoff mess. After a week or so push it to another keg so the trub is easier to clean. When it’s done transfer again to a clean keg for carbonation. That’s what I would do. I don’t bother anymore just tried it a couple times. What are you looking to gain. No O2?

2 Likes

Obviously with a five gallon keg you won’t be able to yield five gallons so every recipe will need to be dialed back.

I have a ten gallon ball lock keg and thought about using that but since you need to transfer off the trub, it doesn’t seem to be any less work, maybe even more than just using the fermenters I have.

1 Like

That’s true but I made my standard recipe and just bottled some flars style

2 Likes