Fermenting Agave

Hey,
I recently discovered Flybird Ready-to-drink Margaritas, I got them shipped from Splash wines (my pandemic wine go-to). I don’t mean to sound like a Shill, the shipping detail is important because I live in Pennsylvania and liquor shipping laws here are just plain messed-up. You can only get liquor shipped by the state of PA itself. I was wondering how it could ship, and it seems the product is not an actual Margarita made with Tequila. it’s essentially a flavored Agave Wine. While I’m not connoisseur of Margaritas this product tastes legit to me, and the wife loves it so…

Anyway it has me wondering how hard it would be to make something like that at home… given that I have ZERO experience with agave. I see some bulk products on Amazon, and I’ve seen some tiny bottles at the local grocery…

My line of thinking…

Agave Syrup or Nectar diluted to ~1.080
Lime zest
Orange zest
whatever clean, alcohol-tolerant yeast… US-05 maybe or a Voss Kviek, or a Belgian strain with the temps kept low.

Anyway if it’s that simple, it may be fun. But if needs some weird schedule of yeast nutrient additions to finish, or would require sulfites and back-sweetening then it may be approaching the point of “Just get a mix and some tequila”

Has anyone tried a recipe like this?

1 Like

I guess you would treat it like a mead. You have to fermemt it strong enough say 13-15% abv so the yeast can’t tolerate the alcohol then add your lime juice and whatever. But probably just make up a big batch of real margarita and bottle them would be easier

Heres where a 1 gallon batch would be yer friend… X-beerment… X-agave-ment is what I meant… Its always easy to buy something… or so it seems… but IF you make the time and tinker… Yer wife might really enjoy all that you are able to create!
Sneezles61

The other thing is that stuff is generally full of artificial flavorings and what not so kind of hard yo replicate

1 Like

I would take a look at the yeast nutrients packaged for making hard seltzers. Other than that it should be fun.

Yes, PA liquor laws are Bass-Ackwards for sure. I have been able to get my Tavour shipments delivered to the office, but that’s beer, so slightly different. I typically make up a pitcher of margaritas when we have them and we finish the pitcher once we start it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1.5 C Tequila
1 C Triple Sec
1/3 C Countreau
2 C sours mix
1/4 lime squeezed per glass

I like a shot of amaretto in mine since my grandfather introduced me to Italian Margaritas several years ago.

Perfect summer cocktail for those warm sunny evenings.

Also, if you are looking for pre-packaged and can find this:

Founders Mas Agave Classica Lime

It was pretty darned good. :sunglasses:

:beers:
Rad