Fermented to fast

I made a batch of caribou slober last Friday. it was still to hot to pitch the yeast so I let it cool over night. it was at 72 degrees sat morning when I made a starter and pitched the yeast. I left and went out of town for the night when I got back around 29 hours after the pitch the cap had fell and had no bubbles in the air lock. I had problems with the a/c unit in my extra room and the temp on the fermenter was at 80. i let it sit a day and sample it is at 1.014 i know it fermented to hot should i threw it out and start over.

How did the SG sample taste?

The work is done now. I would carb it up and try it before I dumped it. What do you have to lose at this point?

I did not taste it, I think I am going to rack it and let it sit a month have 4 carboys so not in a bind for space

Let it sit in the primary for a few weeks, at an even temperature, then check and taste SG sample.

I’m with Flars as to giving this some time. The Caribou Slobber seems to benefit from time and a lot of folks make this ale early on in their brewing, which means temp control is not optimal. I had a similar experience:
Crappy temp control(it was extraordinarily hot that January)
Strange off tastes initially
Improved with time

Eventually it rounded off into one of my best extract attempts. 6-10 weeks later it was still improving after bottling…
Let us know later how this turns out

I’m in the same boat with the 1 gallon Caribou Slober kit (second attempt at home brewing). I read about how important is to get the wort chilled quickly so, after reading about someone stirring their wort to aerate it, I stuck an ice cream maker paddle in my drill and went to town. That with the ice batch dropped the temp to 75f in about 5 minutes. After about 12 hours in my temp controlled fridge @ 72f with a blow-off tube, the foam was gone and no more activity. I’m a little worried that most of the yeast escaped through the tube.

Would you guys recommend adding a bit more yeast for this kind of situation or just let it sit as is for a few weeks? Thanks!

You might have lost some yeast but probably not really that much at all, I think you’ll be fine. Most of the yeast stays in solution then settles. Lots of the gunk that gets pushed out of a blow off tube is hop and break material, not yeast.

Again, 72 is pretty warm, which is why it fermented so fast. Most ales do a bit better in the mid 60 range. I understand the directions say one thing, and people tell you something else, but that’s what we’re all here to do: learn :slight_smile:

OK, awesome, thank you for your advice! I’m definitely learning and starting out with these little 1 gallon batches means I haven’t wasted a ton of precious brewing ingredients :slight_smile: I’ll bump my fridge temp down to 65 then try out the Pumpkin Ale kit next with the proper temp. Thanks again!