Fermentation not starting

What’s the difference between readings on a 1gal batch and a 5gal batch?

In this context, nothing.

But context matters.

For one gallon kits, estimated OG/FG values are not provided. Instructions on when to top off to one gallon are not provided. Taking three OG/FG measurements will cost two bottles in a one gallon kit (with a carboy, one goes from maybe 8 to maybe 6 bottles). So there are lots of details that go along with suggesting taking hydrometer measurements with one gallon kits.

It seemed reasonable to suggest that someone who is a proponent of taking these hydrometer measurements (my refractometer works for me) update the post with information on how to do this for one gallon kits.

Well, there you have it! :wink:

Thats the problem with 1-ees… Not much room to test… I still can’t buy into the refractometer for a finishing reading… but then, how much does it matter? Sneezles61

Honestly, if I was doing 1gal batches I wouldn’t worry about readings. I would wait 2 weeks after any airlock activity and risk it.
I get that we’re all in this at different levels but I don’t get spending the same amount of time on finishing with 10 beers rather than 50…,

1 Like

yup - for one gallon kits, it’s what the instructions state and it appears to be the “simplest thing possible” that works.

One gallon batches can be a good size for people who want to brew, but live in a small space. It’s also a good size for people who like a lot of variety.

The smaller volumes of 1, 1.7, 2.5 or 3.0 gallon batches can also have appeal to people who can’t (or don’t want to) deal with the weight of 5 or 10 gallons of wort.

And then, there was a post over on reddit earlier this month, where the poster stated they were brewing a quick one gallon batch while mashing for their 5 gallon batch.

There are many, many ways to brew it well.

Plus, when you sit on 5 gallons of beer that’s not bad enough to throw out, but still not great, smaller batches look promising. (Looks at “don’t bitter with Summit? How bad could it be” pale and “rhino fart” kolsch).