Favorite Dunkelweizen Recipes

What’s your mash profile. Not much hops so probably doesn’t matter that much which you use

That was my thought at the time. I ended doing a 2:1 Gypsum:CalCloride Which is opposite what one might encounter in a city like Munich. Oh well.
I did my first step mash. Since I BIAB I haven’t had the opportunity but with the light grain load here I thought I would try. I did a rest at 113 and 140ish and stopped at 156 for my final mash temp. In the end I also did a 90min boil which I haven’t done in years.

I think you will be happy with what you did. All those rests sound good for this beer. No decoction?

I would enjoy it, looks good to me.

1 Like

Bringing it back…
I had a couple of Dunkelwiezen with peach from Shiner … Must say, very enjoyable!! Twas a holiday brew… Now to see what you others have tried… Curious… Sneezles61

Bump!
So I’m Dunkelweizen dreaming after having a traditional German dunkelweizen on tap at a local pub…Tucher. Very nice.
Can’t believe it has been six years since I’ve brewed one of these, my last attempt in 2015 was bottled. Going to start anew and go as traditional as I can, researching this now for a couple days…and I have midnight wheat raring to go.

1 Like

Dunkelweizen Dreaming
Since this is a recipe thread, here are the basics:
Malt:
5 lbs dark wheat malt
5 lbs dark Munich malt
.5 lb caramunich 1
3 oz Midnight wheat

Yeast:
Munich Classic wheat ale yeast- slurry with SNSYS

Hops:
German Hallertauer 1 oz 60 min

(Of interest With all the dark grains, I actually have to use some pickling lime to come in at a mash pH of 5.2.)

SRM 22.14
IBU 16.76
OG 1.054
FG 1.012
ABV 5.56%

Looks good… I’d do a pH test before adding the lime… Yer water may have some RA to absorb the the Acid…
Sneezles61

1 Like