Favorite Belgian yeast

I split my batches all the time. I usually split my saison with 565 and 530. This year I did an extra 3.5 gallons so I could have a version with 3711. They all taste great, but they are all different. They are all still in primary right now but I am looking forward to tasting them. All of them start cool and then ramp up. The 565 goes up to 90 in the garage. The other two go up to 78 in the house. Just make sure you start cool during the lag phase.

I made a starter from my 530 but still think I undepitced to a .070 Belgian pale. When I checked at two weeks and dry hopped it seemed stopped at .018. The second batch also .070 with 3711 still working away. Would it be possible to restart the pale by adding some belle saison dry yeast ?

I made a starter from my 530 but still think I undepitced to a .070 Belgian pale. When I checked at two weeks and dry hopped it seemed stopped at .018. The second batch also .070 with 3711 still working away. Would it be possible to restart the pale by adding some belle saison dry yeast ?

I’m not sure if this is any answer, but I just tasted a Blonde I made in June and it was really smooth with no off flavors. I used WLP 575 [1/2 gal starter] and fermed at 66-67 deg. for 2 wks[ O.G. 1.066]. I then warmed to 72 or so but it was close to 4 wks before all activity stopped. I ended at 1.009 . I needed a blowoff for most of it so it was really eating. Was a long ferm and I waited it out, but it was worth it. Most impressed with very little alcohol background. Will be doing it again pretty soon with just WLP 530.

I was hoping it went to .010 but not the case. I made my starter late and don’t think I doubled it so it probably wasn’t enough for a .070 OG. I’m not kegging it for another week just wondering for next time if I added a little yeast when I opened to dry hop if it would have went lower. I tasted it and was pleased so I’m not worried. Just picking brains here.

Some years ago I used T-58 dry for the first time, and didn’t know that it mostly ended with a high FG. I added some Nottingham about 2 wks later and it came down a little but not significantly. I personally don’t see a problem doing that. Might be something to try. The article I read from BYO past issues[ Jan/Feb 2007 ] said .050 beers should have 1/4 gal starter, .070 was 1/2 gal, .080 was 3/4 gal ,and the big guys 1 gal. Jamil will say .060-.070 1/2 gal. It seems a bunch but I attribute that, 60 sec. pure oxy w/a stone, and 66-67 deg initial ferms to my success. I believe these strains call for it that way. Good luck!

For one thing, be patient…two weeks really isn’t very long for a Belgian beer. Stan points out in BLAM that the last 10% of attenuation can take as long as the first 90%.

As to adding more yeast…it might or might not work. It depends n the reason for the stall (assuming you wait another couple weeks and determine it IS stalled). If the issues is yeast, then yes, pitching more might help. But if the issue it fermentability of the wort, more yeast will likely do no good.

Your right Denny, I didn’t add anything just waited and it went to .012. Maybe I woke up the yeast when I opened the bucket to dry hop.

I like 3522 Ardennes. Nice peppery tones.

Well this Belgian with the wl530 is very good. The FG went down nicely after some time. Kegged before I went away for two weeks, came back and it’s perfect. I’ve been visiting that keg often and I’m sad it’s half empty. I’m going to make this same recipe using the Ardennes next. I am growing very fond of Belgians.

Reviving this old thread since I didn’t want to start a new one for a topic that I’m sure has been covered a million times.

I’m planning a dubbel with WLP530 and wanted some advice on fermentation temp. The fact is that I’ve never done a Belgian beer where I’ve been completely satisfied with the “Belgianiness” :). So for anyone with an opiinion, what fermentation temp would you use, and what characteristics do you get out of it?

The second question is an attempt to calibrate what people like/expect, as my tastes may be different. My preference is plum/fruit/bubblegum esters and clove/pepper spiciness. Could do without a lot of banana and certainly don’t want anything solvent.

I tend to ferment on the cooler side, which II suspect has been my issue in the past. Probably stupid, but I’ve been a little scared about what I’d get with too warm a ferment.

I aim for a similar flavor profile in my Tripel: I start at the low end of the yeast’s range, then after it’s about 50% of the way through, I’ll ramp it up to the very top end until it finishes. I’ve also found if you over pitch, you’ll get less “Belgianiness”.

1 Like

Belgian yeast love abuse. Under pitch it no lower than 70 and cut it loose. Let it run and make sure it has room. Don’t save your slurry I never had much luck flavor wise with a repitch although it can be use in a Belgian pale fermented at normal temps.

2 Likes

I used to pitch my Tripel on a cake from a smaller Patersbier. It RIPPED through it, but lacked a lot of character. I’ve learned that lesson.

Try doing your patsbier off the triple for a nice easy drinker

1 Like

I’ve definitely noticed that with multiple generations of Wyeast 3724/Belgian Saison, the best was the first.
Also happens, IMHO, with Hefeweizen yeast, especially 3068, significantly less lively taste on repitch.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve always gotten the feeling that a lot of people let their Belgians get a good bit warmer than the temp ranges on the labels suggest. For instance, White has 66-72 for 530–is that really as high as you go?

I generally use the cellcounts recommended by Mr Malty for pretty much everything (although I don’t worry if I’m 10-20% lower than what Jamil suggests). I know that’s not “overpitching” in general, but maybe that does have something to do with my past experience.

Is that where they max it out? If I recall, I was approaching 80°F.

I’ll just pitch a single smack pack no starter. I get up to 80 no problems. People go higher

I’ve been using the Ardennes yeast. 530 I found a little tame. I may try some other yeast this summer.