Favorite Belgian yeast

I made what I call a Belgium style pale ale using wy3711. I know that’s not a Belgium yeast but it gets the FG down and I love the taste. This is a great beer and I will keep it in the rotation. Is there a better yeast that would be more appropriate for a Belgium that would at least match the results of the yeast I’m using now

My favorite Belgium yeast is WLP570 (duvel), followed by WLP530 (westmalle). I recently blended these to great effect

Is it because of the flavor or their performance?

I am going with Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity. Produces the flavor I like and chews through the really big ones.

1 Like

Sorry, pet peeve here but its a Belgian yeast. Belgium is the country. Its like saying what’s your favorite Germany yeast?

Yeast from Belgium would have worked :slight_smile:

Sorry Matt, what’s your favorite Belgian yeast?

Unfortunately this keg just kicked. It was a fan favorite. And I gave out a lot of growlers. Kind of surprised since I made it using a basic grain bill with Belgian grains and a bunch of hops I had left over. Probably should leave it alone but maybe tweak the yeast, or leave it alone and move on to another recipe?

WL 530/WY 3787 is my favorite for Trappist/Abby styles.

WL 565/WY 3724 is my favorite for saisons. I accidentally bought 3726 for my last batch, and it was not as good.

WL 515 is a great strain from White labs that doesn’t get much attention. It makes a nice pale ale that is clean and slightly lager like. I would say it makes a nice Fat Tire kind of beer, but I don’t like Fat Tire. Use it for a Fat Tire clone, but use good Continental pils malt for base malt, some Munich, Cara-Vienne, and Biscuit for specialty malts and saaz for the hops.

WL 530/WY 3787 is my favorite for Trappist/Abby styles.

WL 565/WY 3724 is my favorite for saisons. I accidentally bought 3726 for my last batch, and it was not as good.

WL 515 is a great strain from White labs that doesn’t get much attention. It makes a nice pale ale that is clean and slightly lager like. I would say it makes a nice Fat Tire kind of beer, but I don’t like Fat Tire. Use it for a Fat Tire clone, but use good Continental pils malt for base malt, some Munich, Cara-Vienne, and Biscuit for specialty malts and saaz for the hops.

I haven’t brewed enough to have a favorite, but I just brewed a batch with WY3522. After one week the gravity sample tasted better than any previous batch before bottling. I am pretty excited about it.

[size=150]
THIS^^^^[1]

1. /size ↩︎

[quote=“SA Brew”]WL 530/WY 3787 is my favorite for Trappist/Abby styles.

WL 515 is a great strain from White labs that doesn’t get much attention. It makes a nice pale ale that is clean and slightly lager like. I would say it makes a nice Fat Tire kind of beer, but I don’t like Fat Tire. Use it for a Fat Tire clone, but use good Continental pils malt for base malt, some Munich, Cara-Vienne, and Biscuit for specialty malts and saaz for the hops.[/quote]

Pretty much my sentiments. It really depends on what you are making. 565/3724/Dupont is not easy to work with IME, but it can make great beer. Chris White was actually on a podcast saying that this yeast is meant to be blended with the house yeast.

One thing I have not tried yet, but I will be trying, is a saison with a blend of Dupont and Brett Trois.

[size=150]
THIS^^^^[1]
[/quote]
OK, I got it. Ill use my standard excuse for my ignorance and blame it on auto correct. :oops:

1. /size ↩︎

Pretty much my sentiments. It really depends on what you are making. 565/3724/Dupont is not easy to work with IME, but it can make great beer. Chris White was actually on a podcast saying that this yeast is meant to be blended with the house yeast.

One thing I have not tried yet, but I will be trying, is a saison with a blend of Dupont and Brett Trois.[/quote]
Have you tried great divide Colette. I was out in CO building an addition for my daughter and was drinking those after a hot work day. Awesome beer, I would love to make something like that. Their web site says they use a blend of yeasts

Funny you mention it I tried Collette 2 days ago and was very impressed. It’s Great Divides seasonal.
I like 515 and 550 for Pales and a Patersbier, they are more subtle. 530 is great for Blondes or any Big
Belgian. I’m waiting for a Blonde to finish with the 575 blend[ 500,530,550]. All I know is it likes to eat. I made a half gal starter for this one and 67 deg ferm temp. 1 wk 70 deg for 2 wks. Can’t wait to try it. Also want to try Wy 1762/ WLP 540 this summer.

America. Can do wutever I Wunt!

'MURICA!!

3787 it is then for my next attempt. I read that article about the monks from spencer MA. I actually used the same hops and a similar schedule for my last Belgian. Coincidence or divine intervention?

Big brew day planned for Sunday. I’m going to mash 26lbs of grain and split into two pots one will be a saison with 3711 that one I will run up the temp which I have done before with great results, people have told me my saison tastes similar to algash saison so that recipe I will stick to. The other pot will be a Belgian with WL530 I havnt used this yeast before. I plan on chilling down to around 65f and pitch, then let it ride in my basement which has temps around 72f + or -. Anyone have feedback ?